Could we make a supersonic electric airplane?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using electric aircraft for supersonic speeds. It is mentioned that electric aircraft would use fans to generate thrust, but there are concerns about achieving supersonic speeds with this method. The conversation also suggests the possibility of replacing the inner turbine of a turbofan with an electric motor.
Brage
Hi guys, I've been reading a bit and watching a few youtube videos on electric aircraft, but have come across little to do with supersonic aircraft.
As far as I understand it an electric aircraft would use basically fans to push air behind it and as such generate thrust. The problem would be that once you go supersonic, in the rest frame of the aircraft, you would have to acclelerate the air you're pushing behind you to supersonic speeds, which I am not sure would be possible with such a propellor engine.
I study theoretical physics and not engineering so I am interested to see what responces you can give me and possible other ideas you guys come up with for a supersonic electric aircraft.
Thanks in advance to any responces.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Turbofans work at supersonic speeds and their main thrust comes from the fan, you can replace the inner turbine with an electric motor.

Last edited:
Likes Brage

1. Can we currently make a supersonic electric airplane?

As of now, there are no supersonic electric airplanes in commercial operation. However, there are ongoing research and development efforts to make this technology a reality in the near future.

2. What are the challenges in creating a supersonic electric airplane?

The main challenges in creating a supersonic electric airplane include finding suitable materials for the aircraft's construction, designing efficient propulsion systems, and developing advanced battery technology that can sustain high speeds and long flights.

3. How would a supersonic electric airplane differ from traditional supersonic airplanes?

A supersonic electric airplane would differ from traditional supersonic airplanes in terms of its power source and emissions. Instead of using fossil fuels, it would be powered by electricity, making it more environmentally friendly and sustainable.

4. What are the potential benefits of a supersonic electric airplane?

A supersonic electric airplane could potentially offer faster and more efficient transportation, as well as reduce carbon emissions and noise pollution compared to traditional supersonic airplanes. It could also open up new routes and possibilities for travel.

5. When can we expect to see a supersonic electric airplane in commercial use?

It is difficult to predict an exact timeline for when a supersonic electric airplane will be in commercial use, as it depends on various factors such as technological advancements and regulations. However, some companies have announced plans to launch supersonic electric airplanes in the next decade.