Aeronautical Engineering Project

In summary, the speaker is studying aeronautical engineering and is in their 2nd year. They have decided to build an aircraft spoiler for a project and test it in a wind tunnel. However, they are currently struggling to find information on dimensions, cost, lifetime, weight, and material for the spoiler. They also need help deciding on the best method for controlling the spoiler. They are open to suggestions and have considered using a pre-existing RC powered sailplane/glider with spoilers to assist with their project.
myuran
Hi guys,

I'm studying BTEC Level 3 Aeronautical Engineering and I'm in my 2nd year. I have to create a project related to an aircraft. I have decided to build an aircraft spoiler and show how it works by putting it into a wind tunnel once I've built it.

However I am stuck at the moment. I cannot find any relevant information e.g. aircraft spoiler dimensions, cost, lifetime, weight, material etc. I need all these info's so I can work out the wing to spoiler ratio and build a smaller version of an aircraft wing with spoilers and I also need this information to put into my Product Design Specification.

Also I'm not sure whether I should build an electronic circuit to control the spoiler(s) or do it another way e.g. fly-by wire method. Can any of you suggest me any books, e-books, online articles etc. that would help me?

I Appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd start with a sub 100 buck rc powered sailplane/glider and get some spoilers that already exist.

Then you can use the fact that you now have actuation to get your ratios correct and whether you want a simple dam or something that fits the profile of the wing.

It also gives you an excuse to play with a rc plane as long as it is used to benefit your studies rather than a distraction from them.

el-spoilers5.jpg

1. What is the purpose of an aeronautical engineering project?

The purpose of an aeronautical engineering project is to design, develop, and test aircraft and spacecraft. This includes creating new and innovative designs, improving existing technology, and ensuring the safety and functionality of aircraft and spacecraft.

2. What are the major components of an aeronautical engineering project?

The major components of an aeronautical engineering project include aerodynamics, propulsion, materials science, avionics, and structures. These components work together to design and build aircraft and spacecraft that are efficient, safe, and capable of meeting the demands of flight.

3. What skills are required for a career in aeronautical engineering?

A career in aeronautical engineering requires a strong foundation in math and science, as well as problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication skills. Knowledge of computer-aided design (CAD) software and experience with hands-on projects is also beneficial.

4. How does aeronautical engineering impact society?

Aeronautical engineering has a significant impact on society as it is responsible for the development of air and space travel. It allows for faster and more efficient transportation, aids in disaster relief and humanitarian efforts, and enables scientific research and exploration.

5. What are the current challenges in aeronautical engineering?

Some of the current challenges in aeronautical engineering include reducing carbon emissions and creating more sustainable aircraft, increasing safety and reliability, and developing new technologies for supersonic and hypersonic flight. Additionally, the field is constantly evolving and facing new challenges as technology advances and demands for air travel increase.