Register to reply

When you study...

by courtrigrad
Tags: study
Share this thread:
courtrigrad
Sep9-06, 07:19 PM
P: 1,237
do you read a textbook in a linear fashion (doing all the problems), or do you skip sections to get to the so-called "meat" of the subject?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
JasonRox
Sep9-06, 07:42 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,329
Well, the first few chapters (say 3 at most) are usually always mandatory. You can certainly jump to other chapters, but beware some chapters require that you read some other chapter.

If you read the introduction of the textbook, the authors sometimes explains other ways to read the book.
leon1127
Sep9-06, 10:36 PM
P: 487
i read what i need

mathwonk
Sep9-06, 11:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
When you study...

in read until i get distracted by ideas that pop into my head, which are generated by the book's discussion.
marlon
Sep10-06, 05:40 AM
P: 4,006
I skip sections to get to the so-called "meat" of the subject.

When making exercises, i used to just select a few for each different topic that was treated in the book. I never made every (or a lot of) exercise.

regards

marlon
kdinser
Sep10-06, 07:01 AM
P: 338
I jump right to the problems and work on a few for a couple hours, then I read through the chapter and try the problems again.
Mattara
Sep10-06, 07:28 AM
P: 398
I read the text in detail, take careful notes, read the examples and take about an half and hour to think through what I have read. Then I do all of the problem sets available.
courtrigrad
Sep10-06, 08:32 AM
P: 1,237
wow, and you still have time to learn all of the topics in the book? wouldn't that take like a year or so? You think it is better to have more breadth of knowledge or more depth of knowledge (i.e. know a lot of subjects well, or like one subject extremely well?)
Mattara
Sep11-06, 09:58 AM
P: 398
Quote Quote by courtrigrad
wow, and you still have time to learn all of the topics in the book? wouldn't that take like a year or so? You think it is better to have more breadth of knowledge or more depth of knowledge (i.e. know a lot of subjects well, or like one subject extremely well?)
No. There is nothing like the pleasure of the highest grade if you worked hard for it. Time flies when you are having fun.

You can combine both.

Although if there is something easy, I usually skip it by just reading it once quickly.

Register to reply