Goldstein Chapter 2: Derivation #2 Help

• Thread starter SeReNiTy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goldstein
In summary, the derivation is if the lagrangian contained velocity terms, derive what the conjugate momentum will be if the system is rotated by a angle in some direction.
SeReNiTy
Can someone point me in the right direction with the derivation number 2 from Chapter 2 (3rd edition) of Goldstein?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not everybody has the book unfortunately, but if you tell us what derivation it is then perhaps we can help.

The derivation is if the lagrangian contained velocity terms, derive what the conjugate momentum will be if the system is rotated by a angle in some direction.

I've got Goldstein, and I'm lost on that one too. (As on most of them, btw. :biggrin: )

How would you define a potential with velocity dependent terms?

SeReNiTy said:
The derivation is if the lagrangian contained velocity terms, derive what the conjugate momentum will be if the system is rotated by a angle in some direction.

Well I hope you know the lagrangian is given by:

[tex] L=T-V = \frac{1}{2} m (\dot{x}+\dot{y}+\dot{z}) - V(x,y,z) [/tex]

In cartesian coordinates. The conjugate momentum for a particular coordinate is given by:

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}= p_x[/tex]

Now if the system was rotated by a particular angle how would you then modify the original expression to deal with a rotation. If you consider the x,y,z coordinates to be a vector [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] rotated about any arbitrary unit vector [tex]\mathbf{\hat{a}}[/tex] by a small angle [tex]\theta[/tex].

Now all you have to do is findout how the x,y,z coordinates are related to [tex]\mathbf{\hat{a}}[/tex] through vector [tex]\mathbf{r}[/tex] and plug them into the lagrangian and see what the turn up. In some books they set [tex]\mathbf{\hat{a}}[/tex] parallel to the z-axis for ease of computation and normally call it [tex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/tex] instead.

Like I say I don't have the textbook but I assume this is something to do with conservation of angular momentum?

Need any more pointers just post.

1. What is the purpose of Derivation #2 in Goldstein Chapter 2?

The purpose of Derivation #2 in Goldstein Chapter 2 is to mathematically derive the equations of motion for a system with position-dependent forces. This derivation builds upon the concepts introduced in Derivation #1 and allows for a more general understanding of systems with varying forces.

2. Can you summarize the steps involved in Derivation #2?

The steps involved in Derivation #2 include setting up the Lagrangian for the system, applying the Euler-Lagrange equations, and solving for the equations of motion using the chain rule and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. How does Derivation #2 differ from Derivation #1?

Derivation #2 differs from Derivation #1 in that it takes into account position-dependent forces, whereas Derivation #1 only considers systems with constant forces. This allows for a more general understanding of systems with varying forces and leads to more complex equations of motion.

4. What are some real-world applications of Derivation #2?

Derivation #2 has many real-world applications, including in the fields of mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. It can be used to model the motion of objects in varying gravitational fields, the behavior of electrical circuits with changing currents, and the quantum behavior of particles in potential wells.

5. How can I use Derivation #2 to solve problems in my own research?

You can use Derivation #2 to solve problems in your own research by applying the general equations of motion derived in this derivation to the specific system you are studying. This will allow you to accurately model and predict the behavior of your system and make informed conclusions about your research.