How to show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant

In summary: Poisson bracket of ##f## and ##H## is equal to zero. This can be shown using Hamilton's equations. In summary, in order to show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is a constant of motion, it suffices to show that the Hamiltonian is equal to a constant and that the Poisson bracket of ##f## and ##H## is equal to zero. This can be proven using Hamilton's equations.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Consider a Hamiltonian system of ##N## degrees of freedom ##q_i##, where ##i = 1,......,N##. The momentum is ##p_i##. Suppose the Hamiltonian has the following specific form:

$$H = H[f_1(q_1, p_1), f_2(q_2, p_2), ..., f_N(q_N, p_N)]$$

Where ##f_i## is some function of ##q^i## and ##p_i## alone.

Show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is a constant of motion.
Relevant Equations
$$f(q_1, q_2, ...., q_N, p_1, p_2,...., p_N) = \text{constant}$$
Alright my idea is that, in order to show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is a constant of motion, it would suffice to show that the Hamiltonian is equal to a constant.

Well, the Hamiltonian will be equal to a constant iff:

$$f(q_1, q_2, ..., q_N, p_1, p_2,..., p_N) = \text{constant}$$

Which is what we have to prove... So I am in a closed loop.

Could you give me a hint?

I am actually checking out Goldstein, section 2.6. He says:

'In many problems a number of first integrals of the equations of motion can be obtained immediately; by this we mean relations of the type (note that his ##f## is in function of ##q_i## and its derivatives wrt time alone, while mine is in function of ##q_i## and ##p_i## alone):

$$f(q_1, q_2, ..., \dot q_1, \dot q_2, ..., t) = \text{constant}$$

...These first integrals are of interest because they tell us something physically about the system.'

OK so we should be able to show ##f(q_1, q_2, ..., p_1, p_2) = \text{constant}## by Hamilton's principle then?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a job for the Poisson bracket.

Likes TSny and JD_PM
Mmm I saw it briefly in class. I see it is defined as follows:

$$[u, v] = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \Big( \frac{\partial u}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial v}{\partial p_i} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial p_j} \frac{\partial v}{\partial q_j}\Big)$$

Where ##u(q, p)## and ##v(q, p)## are any two functions of position in the phase space ##(q, p)##.

Thanks for the hint PeroK, I will investigate further.

JD_PM said:
Mmm I saw it briefly in class. I see it is defined as follows:

$$[u, v] = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \Big( \frac{\partial u}{\partial q_i} \frac{\partial v}{\partial p_i} - \frac{\partial u}{\partial p_j} \frac{\partial v}{\partial q_j}\Big)$$

Where ##u(q, p)## and ##v(q, p)## are any two functions of position in the phase space ##(q, p)##.

Thanks for the hint PeroK, I will investigate further.
Work out what ##[f, H]## says about ##f##.

Likes JD_PM
PeroK said:
Work out what ##[f, H]## says about ##f##.

And shouldn't ##\frac{\partial f}
{\partial t} = 0## be involved somehow? That idea makes sense to me because we are looking for showing ##f_i## to be constant.

JD_PM said:
And shouldn't ##\frac{\partial f}
{\partial t} = 0## be involved somehow? That idea makes sense to me because we are looking for showing ##f_i## to be constant.

It's ##\frac{df}{dt}## you are interested in.

Likes JD_PM
Oh I think I got it!

$$[f, H] = (\nabla_q f)(\nabla_p H) - (\nabla_p f)(\nabla_q H)$$

We identify the Hamilton equations:

$$\nabla_p H = \frac{\partial H}{\partial p_i} = \dot q_i$$

$$\nabla_q H = \frac{\partial H}{\partial q_i} = -\dot p_i$$

Thus:

$$[f, H] = (\nabla_q f)\dot q_i - (\nabla_p f)(-\dot p_i) \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (1)$$

But we know, because of the chain rule, that:

$$\frac{d}{dt} f(q, p) = \frac{df}{dq}\frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{df}{dp}\frac{dp}{dt} = \frac{df}{dq} \dot q + \frac{df}{dp} \dot p \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ (2)$$

Note that (1) = (2).

$$[f, H] = \frac{d}{dt} f(q, p)$$

Thus, ##f_i## is a constant of motion iff ##[f, H] = 0##

1. How do you show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant?

To show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant, you can use the derivative test. Take the partial derivatives of ##f_i## with respect to both ##q_i## and ##p_i## and set them equal to 0. If the resulting equations can be solved for ##q_i## and ##p_i##, then ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant.

2. What is the purpose of showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant?

The purpose of showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant is to prove that the function has a constant value regardless of the input values of ##q_i## and ##p_i##. This can provide insight into the behavior of the system and can be useful in making predictions.

3. Can you give an example of a situation where showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant is important?

One example of a situation where showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant is important is in the study of conservation laws in physics. For example, in classical mechanics, the total energy of a system is a constant value, and showing that it is constant can help in analyzing the behavior of the system over time.

4. What are some methods for showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant?

Aside from using the derivative test, other methods for showing that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant include using the fundamental theorem of calculus, using properties of integrals, and using identities such as the Pythagorean theorem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when trying to show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant?

Some common mistakes to avoid when trying to show that ##f_i(q_i, p_i)## is constant include not properly taking the derivatives, not considering all possible values of ##q_i## and ##p_i##, and not checking for any restrictions on the variables. It is also important to carefully follow the steps of the chosen method and double-check all calculations.