Calculation of Thomas Precession in Rindler's relativity book

• Thread starter NoobieDoobie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, you are trying to work through rindler's relativity book but got stuck at a simple approximation. You found the same answer using the same trig identity as Rindler but your result does not match his. You think you might be doing a trivial calculation mistake.
NoobieDoobie
Homework Statement
A problem from Rindller's relativity book (Check below)
Relevant Equations
Lorentz Transformations
I am trying to work through rindler's relativity book. However, I got stuck at what I think should be a simple approximation.

1689499823333.png

I calculated the angles ##\theta## and ##\theta''## using the formula for velocity transformation. If I simply expand ##\gamma(v)## and ##\gamma(v')## using taylor series and calculate ##tan(\theta'')-tan(\theta) = \frac{v'}{2vc^2}(v^2+v'^2)##. First term of this formula is precisely the answer. However, I would have to calculate ## tan(\theta''-\theta)##, invert the equation and approximate again. This doesn't seem to be what rindler wants us to do though. There must be a simpler way to derive the formula. What am I doing wrong?

Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
NoobieDoobie said:
Edit : If I assume ##v' << v##, I do get the same formula as rindler. I checked from Goldstein's book and he derives the same formula under the assumption ##v'<<v##. I am wondering if Rindler might just have forgotten to add it in the problem statement?
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.

TSny said:
Yes, you are right. The assumption ##v' << v## should have been stated by Rindler.
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.

Likes TSny
NoobieDoobie said:
I'm not sure if it's necessary. I found exact formula for wigner rotation under two perpendicular boosts which turns out to be ##tan(\omega) == -\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}##. Which gives the same result as Rindler under the limits ##\beta_1, \beta_2 << 1##. So we don't need to require ##\beta_2<<\beta_1## additionally.
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!

Likes PhDeezNutz and NoobieDoobie
TSny said:
Oh, that's good! And it surprised me. But, I was able to verify ##\tan(\omega) = \large-\frac{\gamma_2\gamma_1\beta_2\beta_1}{\gamma_2+\gamma_1}## after some manipulations using the trig identity $$\tan(\alpha-\beta) = \frac{\tan \alpha - \tan \beta}{1+\tan \alpha \tan \beta}$$.
I should have had more faith in Rindler!
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

NoobieDoobie said:
That means I must be doing some trivial calculation mistake since I used same trig identity but my result doesn't match with ##\tan(\omega)##.

Here's an outline of my calculation, which might not be the best.

We know ##\tan \theta'' = \large \frac{\beta \,' \gamma'}{\beta}## and ##\tan \theta = \large \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta \gamma }##.

Here, ##\gamma = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta^2}}## and ##\gamma' = \large \frac 1 {\sqrt{1-\beta \,'^2}}##.

The tangent function trig identity is then $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \frac{\beta \,'}{\beta} \frac {\gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma}}{1+(\frac{\beta \,'^2}{\beta^2})\frac{\gamma'}{\gamma}} = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\beta^2\gamma + \beta \,'^2 \gamma'}$$
It's easy to show ##\beta^2 \gamma = \gamma - \frac 1 {\gamma}## and ##\beta \,'^2 \gamma' = \gamma' - \frac 1 {\gamma'}##.

So, $$\tan(\theta'' - \theta) = \beta \beta \,' \frac{\gamma' \gamma - 1}{\gamma - 1/\gamma + \gamma' - 1/\gamma'}$$
Simplify.

Likes NoobieDoobie
When I had tried it, I first stared at the expression for ##\tan(\omega)## and concluded there's no way it can be as simple as the answer we're looking for. Now I understand why faith plays an important role.

Thanks for the help!

Likes TSny

1. What is the Thomas precession in Rindler's relativity book?

The Thomas precession is a phenomenon described in Rindler's relativity book, which explains the precession of a gyroscope in a non-inertial frame of reference. It arises due to the relativistic effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is the Thomas precession calculated?

The Thomas precession can be calculated using the Thomas precession formula: Ω = (γ-1)ω x v, where Ω is the precession frequency, γ is the Lorentz factor, ω is the angular velocity of the gyroscope, and v is the velocity of the non-inertial frame.

3. What is Rindler's relativity book?

Rindler's relativity book is a textbook on the theory of relativity, written by physicist Wolfgang Rindler. It covers topics such as special relativity, general relativity, and the Thomas precession.

4. Why is the Thomas precession important?

The Thomas precession is important because it provides a deeper understanding of the effects of relativity in non-inertial frames of reference. It also has practical applications in fields such as navigation and aerospace engineering.

5. Can the Thomas precession be observed in real life?

Yes, the Thomas precession has been observed in various experiments, such as the Pound-Rebka experiment and the Gravity Probe B mission. It is also taken into account in the calculations of satellite orbits and the behavior of atomic clocks.