Register to reply

Hooke's law with a spring

by bearhug
Tags: hooke, spring
Share this thread:
bearhug
Oct2-06, 05:46 PM
P: 79
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.5 cm.
(a) If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.45 kg, how far will the spring stretch?

F=ma
-ma=-kx
-(4)(9.8)=-k(0.025)
k=1568

-(1.5)(9.8)= -1568x
x=0.00938m
I keep being told that this is wrong and yet I have not been able to figure out where I went wrong. Can someone point out what the problem is.

b) how much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.9 cm from its unstretched position?
Here I used k=1568 and W=1/2kxi^2- 1/2kxf^2
=1/2(1568)(0)^2-1/2(1568)(0.049)^2
W=1.25J or -1.25 J
Once again I'm being told that this is wrong and would like for someone to point out the problem.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
Doc Al
Oct2-06, 06:52 PM
Mentor
P: 41,449
Quote Quote by bearhug
When a 4.00 kg object is hung vertically on a certain light spring that obeys Hooke's law, the spring stretches 2.5 cm.
(a) If the object is replaced with one of mass 1.45 kg, how far will the spring stretch?

F=ma
-ma=-kx
-(4)(9.8)=-k(0.025)
k=1568

-(1.5)(9.8)= -1568x
x=0.00938m
I keep being told that this is wrong and yet I have not been able to figure out where I went wrong. Can someone point out what the problem is.
I don't see any fundamental problem here (except for your misuse of "F = ma"--see below). But why did you use 1.5 instead of the given 1.45 kg? (You can also solve this using ratios.)

One thing to point out: You are not using Newton's 2nd law here (F = ma), but you are using Hooke's law (F = kx). In this case, the F is the force that is stretching the spring--which is the weight of the hanging mass: w = mg.

b) how much work must an external agent do (i.e. a force coming from the 'environment'), to stretch the same spring 4.9 cm from its unstretched position?
Here I used k=1568 and W=1/2kxi^2- 1/2kxf^2
=1/2(1568)(0)^2-1/2(1568)(0.049)^2
W=1.25J or -1.25 J
Once again I'm being told that this is wrong and would like for someone to point out the problem.
I only see two problems: (1) Your signs are off. Note that change in spring energy (or anything) is always final - initial. The work done is positive. (2) Check your arithmetic.
BishopUser
Oct2-06, 07:03 PM
P: 165
Quote Quote by Doc Al
I don't see any fundamental problem here. But why did you use 1.5 instead of the given 1.45 kg? (You can also solve this using ratios.)

One thing to point out: You are not using Newton's 2nd law here (F = ma), but you are using Hooke's law (F = kx). In this case, the F is the force that is stretching the spring--which is the weight of the hanging mass: w = mg.

I only see two problems: (1) Your signs are off. Note that change in spring energy (or anything) is always final - initial. The work done is positive. (2) Check your arithmetic.
technicaly hooke's law is F= -kx and the work done by a spring is infact i-f.

Doc Al
Oct2-06, 07:12 PM
Mentor
P: 41,449
Hooke's law with a spring

Quote Quote by BishopUser
technicaly hooke's law is F= -kx and the work done by a spring is infact i-f.
True, but here we are finding the work done by an external agent in stretching the spring--which equals the change in the spring's energy--which is "final energy - initial energy". (The minus sign in Hooke's law tells you the direction of the spring's restoring force, which is opposite to the force applied by the external agent.)

Register to reply