Hooke's Law Lab Spring Constant Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating a spring constant using a Hooke's Law Apparatus and varying weights and lengths. The person has questions about the formula and the consistency of the constant. They ask for help and clarification on the matter. The proposed solution is to plot weight versus Delta x to determine the slope and potentially adjust for the inextended length.
Abhishekkkk__

Homework Statement

I need to calculate a spring constant using measurements from a Hooke's Law Apparatus, a spring, and some weights. The weights are hung vertically from the spring and the distance is measured from the equilibrium point of the spring. If I'm solving for k, then k=F/x. I do this for the different lengths of the spring and masses of the weights, and get very different answers for the constant. So here are my questions: 1) Am I even using the right formula? If I'm not, you can go give me the right one. 2) Shouldn't a constant be constant? And help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-1-27_17-27-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_17-27-24.png
    upload_2018-1-27_17-27-24.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you get a straight line if you plot weight versus Delta x?

Chestermiller said:
Do you get a straight line if you plot weight versus Delta x?

Yes I do
upload_2018-1-27_19-51-22.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-27_19-51-22.png
    upload_2018-1-27_19-51-22.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 461
So the spring constant is the slope, and maybe you were off a little on the inextended length.

What is Hooke's Law and why is it important in this lab?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. It is important in this lab because it allows us to calculate the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of the spring.

How do I calculate the spring constant in this lab?

To calculate the spring constant, you will need to measure the displacement of the spring and the force applied to it. Then, you can use the formula k=F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the force, and x is the displacement.

What are the units for the spring constant?

The units for the spring constant depend on the units used for force and displacement. Typically, the units for the spring constant are N/m (newtons per meter) or kg/s^2 (kilograms per second squared).

How does changing the mass affect the spring constant in this lab?

In this lab, changing the mass will not affect the spring constant. The spring constant is a property of the spring itself and does not depend on the mass of the object attached to it.

What are some possible sources of error in this lab?

Some possible sources of error in this lab include inaccuracies in measuring the displacement of the spring, variations in the force applied, and the spring losing its elasticity over time. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average to minimize these errors.