iansmith
Feb11-04, 06:53 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,430
Here the definition:

Enhancers
Cis acting DNA sequences that can greatly increase the transcription rates of genes even though they may be far upstream or downstream from the promoter they stimulate.
http://fred.hmc.psu.edu/ds/retrieve/...riptor/D020218

responce elements
Nucleotide sequences, usually upstream, which are recognized by specific regulatory transcription factors, thereby causing gene response to various regulatory agents. These elements may be found in both promoter and enhancer regions.
http://www.geneed.com/glossary/r/index.html

The differemce are not easy to see because they sound the same but the specificity is important. A responce element can have a role in repression of a gene whereas enhancers only stimulates the production. Responce elements are only upstream of a gene and will have a effect on the binding and action of RNA polymerase.
Monique
Feb11-04, 08:13 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,622
Originally posted by iansmith
Responce elements are only upstream of a gene and will have a effect on the binding and action of RNA polymerase.
Why are response elements only upstream? According to the link response elements can both be in the promotor and enhancer regions, enhancer regions can both be up or downstream of a promotor.. :)

For instance: if a molecule binds downstream and causes the DNA to loop a certain way, the polymerase can't go further and will be released. That is how stop signals in bacteria work right?

spuriousmonkey
Feb11-04, 08:35 AM
P: 52

enhancers and response elements

I don't know, but in my field enhancers can also repress. They sometimes call them repressors, but sometimes not. It is all about combinatorial control anyway.
iansmith
Feb11-04, 09:05 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,430
Originally posted by Monique
Why are response elements only upstream?
my mistake, should of said mostly

Originally posted by Monique
[BFor instance: if a molecule binds downstream and causes the DNA to loop a certain way, the polymerase can't go further and will be released. That is how stop signals in bacteria work right? [/B]
Yeah but the gene has been transcribed whereas with these elements will stop or increase expression.
Monique
Feb11-04, 09:08 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Originally posted by iansmith
Yeah but the gene has been transcribed whereas with these elements will stop or increase expression.
I was just giving proof of concept [:D] if such elements were somewhere within a gene, a truncated product will be synthesized and rapidly degraded..
Monique
Feb12-04, 07:49 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Very good review article (I think.. have been trying to print it for the 2 1/2 hours..... [g)])

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Orchestrated response: a symphony of transcription factors for gene control.
Genes Dev
rockind78
Feb12-04, 08:59 AM
P: 78
That does look good. If you don't get it let me know.
Monique
Feb12-04, 09:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
4pm: It printed!!!!! Stupid computers here..

Hm, this article looks usefull :) I'll try to stay awake in the train this time..

ps. how do they get an article to be 4 Mb????? The figures are only 55 kb each.. crazy.

Register to reply