How can I restart the Print Spooler service on my XP Home system?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the user disabled the print spooler service on their XP Home system and has been unable to print or reinstall printer drivers since. They are seeking help in restarting the service and someone suggests going to Start > Run and typing 'services.msc' to find the Print Spooler. However, when trying to start the service, they receive an error message about a dependency service or group failing to start. Eventually, they find the dependency list and are able to resolve the issue.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Quite some time ago, I stupidly disabled some services via msconfig on my XP Home system. One of them was the print spooler. I haven't been able to print or reinstall my printer drivers since. I've tried poking around in msconfig but can't find it again.

Can someone help me restart it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Go to Start > Run. Type 'services.msc' and when the list is presented, click on the list of items, type the letter p to jump to the services starting with P. "Print Spooler" should be one of them. Double click it. Set the startup type to "Automatic" and make sure it's started.

"Could not start the Print Spooler service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

Nevermind. Found the dependency list.

THANKS Z!

Last edited:

1. What is a print spooler?

A print spooler is a software program that manages print jobs sent to a printer. It stores the print jobs in a queue and sends them to the printer when it is ready to print.

2. Why would I need to restart the print spooler?

Sometimes the print spooler may encounter errors or become unresponsive, causing print jobs to get stuck in the queue. Restarting the print spooler can help resolve these issues and allow new print jobs to be processed.

3. How do I restart the print spooler?

To restart the print spooler, you can go to the Services menu on your computer and find the "Print Spooler" service. Right-click on it and select "Restart." You can also open the Command Prompt and type in "net stop spooler" followed by "net start spooler".

4. Will restarting the print spooler delete my print jobs?

No, restarting the print spooler will not delete any of your print jobs. They will remain in the queue and continue to print once the print spooler is back up and running.

5. Is there an alternative to restarting the print spooler?

If restarting the print spooler does not resolve the issue, you can try clearing the print queue or updating your printer drivers. You can also seek help from your printer's manufacturer or a technical support professional.