Help w/ home networking printer

In summary: If you have DHCP enabled on your router and your computers are getting IP addresses from it, you should be able to see each other. If you don't have DHCP enabled, you'll need to set it up.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I want my laptop to be able to communicate directly with my printer.

OK, first let's back up. I'm running XP Home on my two home systems - laptop and desktop. They are both directly connected to the internet through the wireless access point / router. Because of this, as I understand it, my two computers cannot both see each other - this is forbidden by XP Home. I can only configure them to see each other if I set up one as a server and route the other through it.

Right?

Anyway, I want my laptop to be able to communicate directly with the printer (Since I cannot network it, since my laptop cannot see my desktop on the network.)

I bought a print server, not realizing I would need a wireless print server, so now I've got one of those too. But if I hook up the wireless print server, my desktop can't connect to the printer. I'm $240 in the hole on this, and I still can't print from my laptop.

Can anyone advise me on how to hook this whole thing up?

See attached diagram of my setup.

Computer science news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
I want my laptop to be able to communicate directly with my printer.

OK, first let's back up. I'm running XP Home on my two home systems - laptop and desktop. They are both directly connected to the internet through the wireless access point / router. Because of this, as I understand it, my two computers cannot both see each other - this is forbidden by XP Home. I can only configure them to see each other if I set up one as a server and route the other through it.

Right?

No.

if your AP/router has DHCP enabled, and your computers get IP addresses from it, they should be able to see each other without any problems. If file and print sharing are enabled on your computers, you should be able to share files between the two. I do it with mine all the time (1 XP Home, 1 XP Pro). I even have Apache and MySQL running on my desktop that I can access from my laptop.

Check the Windows firewall and make sure it's set up to allow file and printer sharing (Control Panel/Windows Firewall/Exceptions) to pass through.

Anyway, I want my laptop to be able to communicate directly with the printer (Since I cannot network it, since my laptop cannot see my desktop on the network.)

I bought a print server, not realizing I would need a wireless print server, so now I've got one of those too. But if I hook up the wireless print server, my desktop can't connect to the printer. I'm $240 in the hole on this, and I still can't print from my laptop.

Can anyone advise me on how to hook this whole thing up?

In my printer setup, the printer is connected to my desktop via USB and shared as a network printer. I can print to it from my laptop via wireless or wired (plugged into the router), but this requires the desktop to be up and running.

The print server gets set up as another node on the network (config is usually done by accessing the print server via web browser). As long as it's on the same subnet, the other computers should be able to see it as a network printer and connect to it.

Have you checked the printer compatibility chart for your print server? I've read that many print servers only support a limited number of printers

imabug said:
No.

if your AP/router has DHCP enabled, and your computers get IP addresses from it, they should be able to see each other without any problems.
Someone else mentioned this a long time ago, and I think I tried it and failed.

1. How do I connect my printer to my home network?

To connect your printer to your home network, you will need to follow these steps:1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to a power source.2. Connect your printer to your wireless router using an Ethernet cable or by following the wireless setup instructions provided by your printer's manufacturer.3. On your computer, go to your network settings and select the option to add a new printer.4. Follow the prompts to search for and select your printer from the list of available devices.5. Once your printer is connected to your home network, you should be able to print from any device connected to the same network.

2. How do I find the IP address of my printer for network setup?

To find the IP address of your printer, you can follow these steps:1. On your printer, press the "Menu" or "Settings" button.2. Navigate to the "Network" or "Wireless" settings and select "View network configuration" or "Print network configuration page."3. Look for the IP address listed on the network configuration page.4. Alternatively, you can also find the IP address by going to your printer's network settings on your computer and selecting the option to view the printer's properties.

3. How do I troubleshoot common issues with my network printer?

Some common issues with network printers include not being able to connect to the printer, slow printing, or print quality issues. Here are some troubleshooting tips to try:1. Make sure your printer is turned on and connected to your network.2. Check that your printer drivers are up to date.3. Restart your printer and computer.4. Try printing from a different device connected to the same network.5. Check your printer's ink or toner levels.6. Clean the printer heads or run a print head alignment.If these steps do not resolve the issue, you may need to contact your printer's manufacturer for further assistance.

4. Can I print from a device that is not connected to the same network as my printer?

Yes, you can still print from a device that is not connected to the same network as your printer. Many printers have the option to connect through Bluetooth or USB, allowing you to print from a device that is not on the same network. Additionally, some printers have the capability to print from cloud storage services or via email, allowing you to print from anywhere with an internet connection.

5. How can I secure my printer on my home network?

To secure your printer on your home network, you can follow these steps:1. Change the default password on your printer to a strong, unique password.2. Enable network encryption on your printer.3. Set up a firewall to restrict access to your printer.4. Limit access to your printer by only allowing specific devices to connect to it.5. Regularly update your printer's firmware.By following these steps, you can help protect your printer from potential security threats on your home network.