Astronomy Olympiad: Questions & Discussion

In summary, the conversation discussed questions from an Astronomy Olympiad, including the maximum latitude from which a satellite can be viewed and the stability of a satellite at an altitude of 36000 kilometers. They also discussed the possible arrangements of light passing through a box of mirrors and the ratio of outer to inner radius of a spherical iron shell floating in water. The conversation demonstrated different approaches and opinions on solving these questions.
ritwik06
Recently I gave my Astronomy Olympiad. There were some questions of descriptive type. If you all don't mind I would like to discuss them here. :rolleyes:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Shoot...

russ_watters said:
Shoot...

Here goes the first...
A satellite is 36000 Km away from the equator. What will be the maximum latitude from which the satellite can be viewed.

Well, if it had been a question of geometry, I would have just calculated the angle for cos-1 (6400/42400). My answer would come 81.1...

But what I wrote is about the stability of the satellite. Will the satellite be stable at an altitude of 36000 Kilometres. What do you think??

It doesn't matter if it is stable or not - it is at 36000km right now.

russ_watters said:
It doesn't matter if it is stable or not - it is at 36000km right now.

OK :D It means I was foolish to prove that the satellite was unstable. anyways, here goes the second question:
Light passes through a box containing an arrangement of 4 plane mirrors. If the box is removed, even then light doesn't change its path. Is there more than 1 arrangments possible? What will be the sum of all the angles of incidence and reflection.
I think that more than 1 arrangement is possible. And the sum should always be a constant. Probably 360 degree. Whadda say? :tongue2:

ritwik06 said:
I think that more than 1 arrangement is possible. And the sum should always be a constant. Probably 360 degree.
I agree on the first but disagree with the second. I can make any sum from 180* to 720*.

Gokul43201 said:
I agree on the first but disagree with the second. I can make any sum from 180* to 720*.

Oh very well! thanks for that :D The third question.
If a shell of iron just floats inside water. Find the ratio of the outer radius to the inner radius. (Density of iron: 7.87 g/cc)
I have assumed that the shell is spherical. And the the space inside the shell is vacuum. Am I going in the right direction?

What is the Astronomy Olympiad?

The Astronomy Olympiad is an international competition for high school students that focuses on various topics in astronomy and astrophysics. It aims to encourage students' interest and knowledge in the field of astronomy.

What kind of questions are asked in the Astronomy Olympiad?

The questions in the Astronomy Olympiad cover a wide range of topics, including theoretical concepts, observational skills, and problem-solving abilities. They can include multiple-choice, short answer, and long answer questions.

How can I prepare for the Astronomy Olympiad?

To prepare for the Astronomy Olympiad, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also helpful to practice with previous competition questions and study topics such as celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and observational astronomy.

Do I need to be an expert in astronomy to participate in the Olympiad?

No, you do not need to be an expert in astronomy to participate in the Olympiad. The competition is open to high school students of all levels, and the questions are designed to test both basic and advanced knowledge in the field.

How can I participate in the Astronomy Olympiad?

To participate in the Astronomy Olympiad, you can either be selected by your school or register as an individual participant. The competition is typically held at national and international levels, with various rounds of exams and selection processes.