In summary: This will notify them and hopefully get their attention.In summary, there is a conversation regarding criticisms of the solutions provided by Asi.edu.au for their Physics Olympiad past exams. The tally matrix shows a significant number of issues raised, including quibbles about solutions, suggestions for clearer problem descriptions, and errors potentially leading to incorrect marking. The conversation also mentions contacting Asi.edu.au to make them aware of the criticisms and give them the opportunity to respond.
haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
ref: asi.edu.au/programs/past-exams/physics-olympiad-past-exams/
Classification of issues:
[1*] Quibble regarding the solution.
[2*] Clearer problem description suggested.
[3*] Alternative solution should be accepted
[4*] Significant error, likely leading to incorrect marking.
Tally matrix:

Year1*2*3*4*

Total13668

https://www.asi.edu.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/ASOE_Physics_2019-answers.pdf
Q11 c) [1*]
“If Jackie moves more quickly, the force of Object 1 on Object 2 is larger and can exceed the maximum force due to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes JD_PM, jim mcnamara, LCSphysicist and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
@haruspex : have you contacted the folks at asi.edu.au to make them aware of these criticisms, and give them the opportunity (possibly) to respond? If not, I'll do so.

Likes etotheipi
strangerep said:
@haruspex : have you contacted the folks at asi.edu.au to make them aware of these criticisms, and give them the opportunity (possibly) to respond? If not, I'll do so.
I emailed them last Saturday. No response yet.

Edit: As a result of your question I sent a second email. This time I got an out-office-response and an alternative email address, so I'm trying that.

Likes etotheipi
Can you help me on solving the post on hw, Hitting the rocket please?

MichaelTam said:
Can you help me on solving the post on hw, Hitting the rocket please?
If you want a particular contributor to post on a thread, just make a post there that includes "@username", e.g. @haruspex.

1. What are "Corrections to the Australian Physics Olympiad Questions and Solutions"?

"Corrections to the Australian Physics Olympiad Questions and Solutions" refer to any errors or mistakes found in the original questions or solutions of the Australian Physics Olympiad. These corrections are made to ensure the accuracy and fairness of the competition.

2. How are these corrections identified and addressed?

These corrections are identified through careful review and analysis by a team of experts in the field of physics. Once identified, the corrections are promptly addressed and updated in the official materials of the Australian Physics Olympiad.

3. Are these corrections common in the Australian Physics Olympiad?

While every effort is made to ensure the accuracy of the questions and solutions, errors can still occur. However, these corrections are not common and are only made when necessary to maintain the integrity of the competition.

4. Are these corrections made public?

Yes, these corrections are made public and are typically posted on the official website of the Australian Physics Olympiad. This allows all participants to have access to the updated and corrected materials.

5. How do these corrections affect the competition?

These corrections do not significantly affect the competition as they are typically minor errors that do not change the overall difficulty or content of the questions. However, they do ensure a fair and accurate competition for all participants.

Back