Black Holes in a Newtonian (non-Einsteinian) World

by Izzhov
Tags: black, holes, newtonian, noneinsteinian, world
Izzhov
Feb10-07, 02:19 PM
P: 116
I'm just wondering... how would this work out? What would happen, for example, if an object goes past the event horizon of a black hole in a Newtonian universe? Or is this where Newtonian mechanics breaks down and we need General Relativity to explain it?

(P.S. I am a high school student with average knowledge of Newtonian Mechanics and minimal knowledge of the Theory of Relativity, so I might find some/a lot of the explanation to be confusing. I do, however, understand most math calculus and below.)
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Cosmic illusion revealed: Gravitational lens magnifies supernova
Professional and amateur astronomers join forces
B.E.M
Feb11-07, 02:48 AM
P: 70
Hi, (correct me if I am wrong, people)
The event horison is defined by the radius at which the escape velocity exceeds the speed of light, which is the greatest possible speed according to relativity. So, nothing, not even light, can escape and nothing inside can affect the outside

In a Newtonian universe things can theoretically travel faster than light so there is no event horison.

However, in a Newtonian world objects could still be massive enough that gravity would overwealm all other forces (eg the forces that keep neutrons apart etc) and it would collapse to an infinitely small speck. I think this would be called a naked singularity because there is no event horison to isolate us from this total failure of physics.
yenchin
Feb11-07, 04:23 AM
P: 534
You may wish to look for information on John Michell or Laplace's dark star.

Register to reply