Register to reply

Mechanical engineering, mathematics, master of science?

Share this thread:
hanson
Feb20-07, 03:20 AM
P: 320
I will be having my final year study in mechanical engineering.
Now, I am considering what to do...
I believe that both my characters and ability are not quite suitable to work outside as an engineer.
I think I am a somewhat theoretically inclined person, so I have identified pursuing an academic career as my aspiration before.
What I would like to do is more like applied mathematics...
But I will say my university education does not provide me with a solid background in mathematics. And I am definitely not those clever math genuis that have special insights into math...
So, I am wondering what I shall do...
I will say I have a rather weak math background now...
I am therefore conidering whether to do a second degree in math or phy...but that means I am going to spend 3 more years as an undergraduate student and a large sum of money...
I am also considering to do a master of science in applied mathematic in my country. But provided my weak mathematics background, I am not sure if it is a good idea to do so...
I am quite confused and hope to listen to others' words.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
AlephZero
Feb20-07, 07:29 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,119
You are not the only person who started out with a plan of what you wanted to do, and then discovered you made a mistake. It's much better to realize that and do something about it, rather than just drift into something that you don't want to do, or that you are not good at doing.

You need to think big about this. Ask yourself what you really want to do for the next 50 years of your life, not the next 3 or 4 years. Then make a plan to achieve what you want. The only person who can answer that big question is you.
mr_coffee
Feb20-07, 10:29 AM
P: 1,629
hanson,

If your a ME, how do you have a weak math background? To be an ME I thought it was very math intensive, they would have to as much math as an aerospace engineering and just as much physics.

complexPHILOSOPHY
Feb20-07, 11:26 AM
P: 360
Mechanical engineering, mathematics, master of science?

I remember in a mechanical engineering thread a while back, the consensus was that there is a lot of mathematics involved in that specific degree. I thought it extended atleast into vector calculus, which gives you a pretty strong background to work with.
mr_coffee
Feb20-07, 01:11 PM
P: 1,629
Yah my friend is a ME, they take just as much math as any ENgineering major, up to Differential Equations
hanson
Feb20-07, 01:18 PM
P: 320
Um...well...I do feel that the math I learn is not concrete enough.
Perhaps it is to deal with the curriculum here in my country. I do learn vector calculas for sure and complex vairables etc...
But, I just feel that I do not really grasp the stuff well though I score all A+ in these courses...
complexPHILOSOPHY
Feb20-07, 01:23 PM
P: 360
Well, I am not sure what to tell you if you get all A+ in the courses and have an engineering background in mathematics. It seems like you would have no problems getting your Applied Mathematics degree and it seems like a majority of your engineering degree would count towards your mathematics degree. If you feel that your not as strong as you would like, grab a few text books in whichever area and work through them. You seem like you understand mathematics well enough to work through some higher level undergraduate stuff in your own without much trouble.

What areas are you 'weak' in or 'feel weak' in?

I am doing a double-major in physics and mathematics and most of my courses count towards both, which should apply to you as well. Are you interested in physics as well, or just mathematics?

Perhaps there is an issue I am not grasping? What country are you in/from?

Register to reply