3-4-5 triangle

by Bradracer18
Tags: triangle
Bradracer18
Mar12-07, 10:15 AM
P: 203
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey, I have quick question. I tried looking on google, but couldn't quite reassure myself.

Does a 3-4-5 triangle have to be a 30-45-90 triangle? Can the angles be any angle?(this is what I think....but not confident).

I have a triangle(this is actually a physics problem)....but the triangle has a leg which is 3' and a leg that is 4'.....so the hyp must be 5'....but i need to know the angles.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
robphy
Mar12-07, 10:21 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
Quote Quote by Bradracer18 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey, I have quick question. I tried looking on google, but couldn't quite reassure myself.

Does a 3-4-5 triangle have to be a 30-45-90 triangle? Can the angles be any angle?(this is what I think....but not confident).
No, a 3-4-5 triangle does not have a 30 or 45 degree angle.
No.

I have a triangle(this is actually a physics problem)....but the triangle has a leg which is 3' and a leg that is 4'.....so the hyp must be 5'....but i need to know the angles.
what is the definition of the trigonometric functions: sine, cosine, and tangent?
ZioX
Mar12-07, 10:29 AM
P: 372
There exists no triangle with 30-45-90 angles. The sum of the angles must be 180.

It should be noted that the majority of sine, cosine and tangent arguments only work for right angled triangles.

It's not necessarily true that a RIGHT triangle with 3 inch and a 4 inch lengths will have another side of length 5. How do you know that 4 isn't the hypoteneuse?

AlephZero
Mar12-07, 10:32 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,342

3-4-5 triangle

[b]Does a 3-4-5 triangle have to be a 30-45-90 triangle?
The angles of a triangle add up to 180 degrees, so a 30-45-90 triangle is impossible.

Can the angles be any angle?(this is what I think....but not confident).
No, if you have the length of all 3 sides, the 3 angles are fixed.

You can find the angles of any shape of triangle using the cosine rule, if you know all three sides. For a 3-4-5 triangle, you know one angle is right angle, so you can save time and use the definitions of sine and cosine instead of using the full cosine rule.
Bradracer18
Mar12-07, 10:32 AM
I have a picture......I guess I'm having a brain fart.....

I know there is a 90 deg angle(where the 3 and 4 sides meet,angle opposite from the hyp).....so then, can't i use the law of sines to find the angles?

I know the def's of trig functions........what does that help.......opp/adj......opp/hyp......adj/hyp....
robphy
Mar12-07, 10:35 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 4,108
I know the def's of trig functions........what does that help.......opp/adj......opp/hyp......adj/hyp....
What specifically is equal to "opp/adj"? etc...
Bradracer18
Mar12-07, 10:35 AM
ok......so can't I just do this.....

sin90/5 = sinx/3 which I think gives me a 36.87 deg angle. This is what I came up with in the begining....just didn't seem right.
Bradracer18
Mar12-07, 10:36 AM
tan = opp/adj.......or I think its also sin/cos(or something like that.....y/x?).....definately know its tan.
AlephZero
Mar12-07, 10:36 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,342
I know there is a 90 deg angle(where the 3 and 4 sides meet,angle opposite from the hyp).....so then, can't i use the law of sines to find the angles?
Yes, that's yet another way to do it if you don't like the other suggestions.
Bradracer18
Mar12-07, 10:37 AM
ok.....well I think I've got it then......thanks all! A nice brush up on my trig skills....ha

Register to reply