Proving Triangle Side Lengths Using Congruence and Similarity

In summary, the homework statement is that given that the square has a centre at Q and that the circle with that centre has a radius of 6 cm, it can be proved that the triangle MN has a length of 6 cm.
rushil_p

Homework Statement

As shown in the diagram below, the shape consists of a square and a circle with centre Q. Given that QM = 3 cm, prove that MN = 6 cm.

Known data:
-- triangles APB and BQC are congruent
-- angle BMC = 90
-- triangles BMQ and BNA are similar and right-angled

Doubt.JPG

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution

This is a part of a structured question and I've already proved all the data listed above. I also know that AN = 6 cm as the triangles are similar, and I think that the solution might have something to do with triangle AMN being isosceles (but I can't prove that). There's probably something obvious I'm missing, so a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that there is a point X such that ANMX is a square?

RUber said:
Can you show that there is a point X such that ANMX is a square?

Thank you! I think something like this would suffice: Let AX be the line parallel to MN, such that X lies on the extension of CQ. As we know ∠NMQ = 90°, ∠AXM =90° as they are interior angles between parallel lines. Since ∠MNA and ∠XAN are 90° as well, ANMX is a square, and AN = NM. Therefore MN is 6 cm.

Thanks once again.

I think that your argument only proves that ANMX is a rectangle. I may have steered you wrong...I do not see a good way to make the conclusion along those lines.
What about this:
triangles APB and BQC are congruent, so AP = AQ.
So you should be able to show that QMB = NPA.
Then use the isosceles rule to say BN = NM.
And I think you should be able to conclude the result you are looking for.

rushil_p said:

Homework Statement

As shown in the diagram below, the shape consists of a square and a circle with centre Q. Given that QM = 3 cm, prove that MN = 6 cm.

Known data:
-- triangles APB and BQC are congruent
-- angle BMC = 90
-- triangles BMQ and BNA are similar and right-angled

View attachment 87831

2. Homework Equations
3. The Attempt at a Solution

This is a part of a structured question and I've already proved all the data listed above. I also know that AN = 6 cm as the triangles are similar, and I think that the solution might have something to do with triangle AMN being isosceles (but I can't prove that). There's probably something obvious I'm missing, so a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
You should be able to do this using similar triangles.

From the result that AN = 6cm, you can show that ΔAMN is isosceles.

RUber said:
triangles APB and BQC are congruent, so AP = AQ.
So you should be able to show that QMB = NPA.
Then use the isosceles rule to say BN = NM.

SammyS said:
You should be able to do this using similar triangles.

From the result that AN = 6cm, you can show that ΔAMN is isosceles.

What about this:

As ΔAPB is congruent with ΔBQC, AP = QB
ΔANB is congruent with ΔBMC by AAS rule since ∠ANB = ∠BMC = 90°, ∠MCB = ∠NBA, AB = BC
Hence, AN = BM, the third side of the congruent triangles shown. As AN = 6 cm, BM = 6 cm
As ΔBMQ and ΔBNA are similar (scale factor 2), BN = BM*2 = 12 cm, and MN = BN - BM = 6 cm.

Likes RUber

1. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how does it relate to the sides of a triangle?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used to solve for the length of one side when the other two sides are known.

2. What are the three types of triangles based on their sides?

The three types of triangles based on their sides are equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. An equilateral triangle has three equal sides, an isosceles triangle has two equal sides, and a scalene triangle has no equal sides.

3. How do you find the length of the third side of a triangle when two sides are known?

To find the length of the third side of a triangle when two sides are known, you can use the Pythagorean theorem if the triangle is a right triangle. If the triangle is not a right triangle, you can use the law of cosines or the law of sines to solve for the missing side.

4. What is the perimeter of a triangle?

The perimeter of a triangle is the sum of the lengths of all three sides. It is the distance around the triangle.

5. Can a triangle have more than one right angle?

No, a triangle cannot have more than one right angle. By definition, a right angle is equal to 90 degrees and a triangle has a total of 180 degrees. Therefore, if one angle is 90 degrees, the other two angles must be less than 90 degrees.