Trig problem involving a triangle's angles and sides

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact values of various lengths in a triangle ABC, including AE, BC, AB, and CD expressed in terms of a. It also involves finding the sides of a square KLMN inscribed in the triangle. Using trigonometric ratios, the sides of the square can be expressed as (a/2)(√3-1).
Kolika28

Homework Statement

In the triangle ABC, angle A = 30 deg, angle B = 45 deg and since AC = a. The perpendicular from C on AB cuts AB in E. In this task you should calculate exact values.

a) Determine AE, BC and AB expressed by a.

b) Perpendicular from B on AC intersects the extension of AC in D. Find CD expressed by a.

c) A square KLMN is inscribed in the triangle ABC. The corners K and L are on the side AB, the corner M on BC and the corner N on AC. Find the sides in the square expressed by a.

Homework Equations

I can't find a solution to c) Can someone help me?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) AE=(a√3)2 BC=(a√2)/2 AB=(a/2)(√3+1)
b) CD=(a/4)(√3-1)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know of a way to solve this.

1. Express the length AB in terms of a.
2. Call length KN x. Express the lengths AK and LB in terms of x.

Likes Kolika28
1. Isn't that equal to the equation I wrote in the solution over?
2. I'm not sure how I am supposed to express the lengths in terms of x. Should I use cosine?

Cos(30)=AK/AN? But I don't know what AN is equal to. I really appreciate your help by the way :)

I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure if this i correct.

tan(30)=KN/AK 1/√3=x/AK AK=√3*x

tan(45)=LM/LB LB=x

AB=AK+KL+LB
(a/2)(√3+1)=√3*x+x+x

I then find out that x=-(a-√3*a)/2=(a(√3-1)/2). Is this right?

Kolika28 said:
I think I have an idea, but I'm not sure if this i correct.

tan(30)=KN/AK 1/√3=x/AK AK=√3*x

tan(45)=LM/LB LB=x

AB=AK+KL+LB
(a/2)(√3+1)=√3*x+x+x

I then find out that x=-(a-√3*a)/2=(a(√3-1)/2). Is this right?
Yes. I also get that that the length of each side of the square is ##\ (a/2)(\sqrt 3 - 1) \,.##

SammyS said:
Yes. I also get that that the length of each side of the square is ##\ (a/2)(\sqrt 3 - 1) \,.##
Thank you so much for the help :)

1. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it used to solve trig problems involving a triangle's angles and sides?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem can be used to find missing side lengths or angles in a right triangle.

2. How do you determine the missing angle in a triangle if you know the lengths of all three sides?

To find the missing angle in a triangle, you can use the Law of Cosines, which states that the square of one side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, minus two times the product of those sides and the cosine of the angle opposite the first side. Simply solve for the missing angle using basic algebra.

3. What is the Law of Sines and how is it used in trigonometry?

The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of the angle opposite that side is equal to the same ratio for the other two sides and opposite angles. This law can be used to solve for missing side lengths or angles in a triangle.

4. Can you use trigonometry to find the area of a triangle?

Yes, you can use trigonometry to find the area of a triangle by using the formula A = 1/2 * b * h, where b is the base length of the triangle and h is the height, which can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

5. Is it possible to have a triangle with all three angles greater than 90 degrees?

No, it is not possible to have a triangle with all three angles greater than 90 degrees. The sum of the angles in any triangle is always 180 degrees, so if all three angles were greater than 90 degrees, the sum would exceed 180 degrees.