Choosing an Engineering Field: Job Prospects After Graduation

• Thread starter Theman88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Education
In summary, the type of engineering that one chooses should depend on their reasons for not getting a job right out of school. If they are not qualified, they should work towards improving their qualifications. Staying updated with the relevant journals and trade magazines can help prevent obsolescence, with computer engineering being the most secure field due to its accessibility for independent work.
Theman88
There are some people that doesn't get jobs in engineering in my country right after the education. So I was wondering in which engineering(mechanical, electrical, computer etc), is it ok to not have been in the field for a while?, I have heard that some will be outdated at once if they don't get jobs at once. So which kind of engineering doesn't change so mych over the years and which change so much that some years without work will never get you work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Theman88. I moved your thread to the Career Guidance forum from the General Engineering forum.

I think that the reason for not getting a job in engineering out of school would be an important determiner of whether it was okay or not. For example, if the person wanted to travel the world for a while before settling down in a regular engineering job, I see no harm in that. On the other hand, if they come out of school and are not qualified for entry-level engineering jobs in their field, then they should do something to work to improve their qualifications. They could take a job in a less technical field, but take extra classes or gain some side experience that makes them more qualified for the engineering positions, for example.

As long as one reads the applicable engineering journals and trade magazines, there is little danger of obsolescence in the short term. Computer software is probable the most obsolescence-safe of the fields, because you can program on your own pretty much anywhere and anytime. It's not like you need a multi-million dollar R&D lab setup to write programs.

This is a valid concern for many students considering a career in engineering. While it is true that some engineering fields may have more job opportunities than others, it is important to keep in mind that the job market is constantly changing. It is not uncommon for graduates in any field to face challenges in finding employment right after graduation.

In terms of which engineering field may be less affected by changes in the job market, it is difficult to make a generalization as each field has its own unique set of demands and advancements. However, it is important to stay updated on industry trends and continuously develop your skills to remain competitive in the job market.

That being said, it may be helpful to research the current job market in your country for different engineering fields and consider which industries are growing and in need of engineers. Additionally, networking and gaining relevant work experience through internships or projects can also increase your chances of getting hired in your desired field.

Overall, it is important to choose an engineering field that aligns with your interests and strengths, as this will ultimately lead to a more fulfilling and successful career. And remember, the job market is always evolving, so staying adaptable and continuously learning will be key to success in any engineering field.

1. What are the most in-demand engineering fields?

The most in-demand engineering fields currently include computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and chemical engineering. These fields have a high demand for skilled professionals and offer a wide range of job opportunities after graduation.

2. How do I choose the right engineering field for me?

Choosing the right engineering field for you depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It is important to research different fields, speak with professionals in the field, and consider your own skills and passions before making a decision.

3. What are the job prospects like for engineering graduates?

The job prospects for engineering graduates are generally very good, with a high demand for skilled professionals in various industries. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, adding about 316,000 new jobs.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualifications that are highly valued in the engineering field?

In addition to technical skills and knowledge, there are several other skills and qualifications that are highly valued in the engineering field. These include problem-solving abilities, communication skills, teamwork, adaptability, and a strong work ethic.

5. What are some potential career paths in the engineering field?

Some potential career paths in the engineering field include becoming a design engineer, project manager, research and development engineer, systems engineer, or technical consultant. There are also opportunities for engineers to advance into management positions or pursue further education and specialize in a specific area of engineering.