General Masters Advice after Bachelor's Degree in Physics

In summary: EE is definitely a more general engineering degree, which might not be what you're looking for, but it is definitely an option. I don't really know how the prospects would compare; I'm just giving you the information I have.
Hopy
I am in the second year of my Physics B.Sc and will soon have to make the decision how to continue from there. My grades are generally good, and I certainly want to continue my education, specifically a Masters. My goal is to be employed in industry, where I would strongly prefer actually working on technology.
I do realize that a lot of Physics Majors end up working far from their studied field if they do go into industry since what you learn in a physics degree generally doesn't have enough application for you to be chosen over engineers for instance.
Now some universities in my country offer these kind of interdisciplinary degrees such as Engineering Physics, Technical Physics, Biophysics, etc.

My question is how degrees such as these are perceived on the job market, and whether they would give me a better chance at landing an industry job than a regular physics degree.
I have also found out that, assuming I take some additional coursework, it is possible for me to follow up my bachelors with a masters in Electrical Engineering. How would this option compare in terms of employability?

Physics news on Phys.org
OP: If you want proper advice, you need to disclose what country you are in now. Do you plan to continue your education in the same country? Do you plan eventually to seek employment in the same country?

Hopy said:
My question is how degrees such as these are perceived on the job market, and whether they would give me a better chance at landing an industry job than a regular physics degree.
I think it depends on what type of work you want to do, or what type of "industry" job you're after. And I know, you may not know that now, yourself (most people do not).

I worked with several people who had physics bachelor's and then Engineering Physics masters. They were all competent and well-respected. But I think if you have some traditional engineering job in mind, it would be better to stick to the well known disciplines. Examples: if you're interested in heat transfer and thermo problems then stick to mechanical or chemical engineering; if you want to design airplane wings, stick to aerodynamics. It is not that an "engineering physicist" couldn't do a fine job at these, it is more a case of conforming to the stereotypes to make landing the job easier. OTOH, if you're interested in more fringe areas, or in working for smaller companies, then something like engineering physics might be what they're looking for.
bhobba said:
A finance or especially actuarial science Masters has excellent job prospects,
Don't skip over this idea - I have a friend (math major) who then went to dental school and practiced dentistry for many years; he later got his actuary license (I'm not sure what it is called, but you need it to do that work). He's been happy doing that for a while now.

CrysPhys said:
OP: If you want proper advice, you need to disclose what country you are in now. Do you plan to continue your education in the same country? Do you plan eventually to seek employment in the same country?
As for my country, I live in Germany and am planning to stay here for the remainder of my academic career. As for actual work, I'd be more flexible.Also, I do realize that the job prospects, as well as the jobs themselves, can actually be quite nice for fields that aren't directly tech-related, but I do have a particular interest in working on technology. I wouldn't hate going the actuarial or financial route for instance, but I am certainly more passionate about technology.

As for more "traditional" jobs and traditional engineering degrees, I don't know if I could see myself doing mechanical or chemical engineering for instance, and I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to either, but I have found out that Electrical Engineering is a possibility here after having finished a Bachelor's in Physics, and it is also definitely the type of traditional engineering degree that interests me the most. How would the prospects of an Ms in EE compare to Engineering Physics?

1. What career options are available after completing a Bachelor's degree in Physics?

With a Bachelor's degree in Physics, you can pursue a wide range of career options. Some popular choices include becoming a research scientist, an engineer, a data analyst, a teacher, or a science writer. You can also work in industries such as aerospace, defense, energy, healthcare, and technology.

2. Should I pursue a Master's degree in Physics or a related field?

It depends on your career goals and interests. If you want to work in research or academia, a Master's degree is usually necessary. However, if you want to work in industry, a Master's degree in a related field such as engineering or computer science may be more beneficial.

3. What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Master's degree in Physics?

A Master's degree in Physics will provide you with advanced knowledge in various subfields of physics, such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. You will also develop skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, data analysis, and experimental design. Additionally, you will gain experience in using specialized software and equipment used in the field of physics.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong mathematical background for a Master's degree in Physics?

Yes, a strong mathematical background is essential for a Master's degree in Physics. Many concepts and theories in physics are expressed mathematically, and you will need to have a solid understanding of calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra to succeed in a Master's program. However, you can also develop your mathematical skills while pursuing a Master's degree in Physics.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a Master's degree in Physics?

My advice would be to carefully research and choose a program that aligns with your interests and career goals. It is also essential to have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics before starting a Master's program. Additionally, make sure to network and gain research experience during your studies to make yourself more competitive in the job market. Finally, don't be afraid to seek help and guidance from professors and peers, as a Master's degree in Physics can be challenging but also rewarding.