How Do You Simplify (cos(2x))^2 Using Trigonometric Identities?

• Thread starter justine411
  • Start date
In summary, the problem is to simplify the expression (cos2x)^2 and use trigonometric identities to rewrite it in terms of sine and cosine. The solution is to write it as cos^2(2x) and use the identity cos2x = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) to rewrite it as (cos^2(x) - sin^2(x))^2.
justine411

Homework Statement

(cos2x)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if it is cos^2(2x) or cos^2(4x) or what. Should I use an identity to simplify it to make it easier to solve? Please help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What is there to solve? :confused:

(cos2x)^2 is just an expression.

In what sense is (cos(2x))2 a "problem"? What do you want to do with it?

I will say that (cos(2x))2 means: First calculate 2x, then find cosine of that and finally square that result. Notice that it is still 2x, not 4x. The fact that 2 is outside the parentheses means that it only applies to the final result.

HallsofIvy said:
In what sense is (cos(2x))2 a "problem"? What do you want to do with it?

I will say that (cos(2x))2 means: First calculate 2x, then find cosine of that and finally square that result. Notice that it is still 2x, not 4x. The fact that 2 is outside the parentheses means that it only applies to the final result.

Doesn't (cos(2x))2 = cos2(2x)2 = cos2(4x2) ?

Rhythmer said:
Doesn't (cos(2x))2 = cos2(2x)2 = cos2(4x2) ?

No. 'Cos' is a particular operation and 2x is the argument. The exponent of 2 operates on cos, not on the argument.

cos2y = cos y * cos y.

There are also particular trigonometric identites with which one should be familiar, i.e. cos (x+y) and sin (x+y).

You still haven't told us what the problem was! Was it to write (cos(2x))^2 in terms of sin(x) and cos(x)? I would simply be inclined to write (cos(2x))^2 as cos^2(2x).

1. What is the identity of (cos(2x))^2?

The identity of (cos(2x))^2 is equal to 1/2(1+cos(4x)), which can also be written as 1/2 + 1/2cos(4x).

2. How do you simplify (cos(2x))^2?

To simplify (cos(2x))^2, you can use the double angle formula for cosine: cos(2x) = 1-2sin^2(x). This can be substituted into the original equation to get (1-2sin^2(x))^2, which can then be expanded and simplified further.

3. Can (cos(2x))^2 be negative?

No, (cos(2x))^2 cannot be negative. The square of any real number will always result in a positive number, including the cosine function.

4. Can (cos(2x))^2 be greater than 1?

Yes, (cos(2x))^2 can be greater than 1. Since the cosine function can take on values between -1 and 1, squaring it will result in a value greater than 1 if the original value was greater than 1 or less than -1.

5. What is the period of (cos(2x))^2?

The period of (cos(2x))^2 is the same as the period of the cosine function, which is 2π. This means that the graph of (cos(2x))^2 will repeat itself every 2π units on the x-axis.