Trigonometric Equations Problems - Rather Confused

In summary, trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions and are used to solve problems related to triangles and other geometric shapes. Common examples of these problems include finding missing side lengths or angles, solving for unknown values in trigonometric identities, and determining the amplitude and period of a trigonometric function. To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use trigonometric identities and properties and then use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable. It is important to remember to check for extraneous solutions and to avoid common mistakes such as not using the correct identities or properties and making algebraic errors. To improve skills in solving these equations, one can practice with problems and seek help from a tutor or use online resources and
AN630078
Homework Statement
Trigonometric equations are by far one of my weakest areas. I have been practising to improve and refine my understanding but I am still a little uncertain in areas. I have attempted some questions below but was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on how to improve my workings or apply more suitable methods.

Question 1; Solve the following equations giving your solutions as exact fractions of π in the range 0 ≤θ ≤2 π:

a. sin θ=√3/2
b.cos2θ=0.5
c.tan (2θ-π/4)=1

Question 2; Sketch the graphs y=2cos x and y=tan x.
a. How many values of x satisfy the equation in the range 0 ≤θ ≤360 degrees?
b. Show that the x-values at the points of intersection satisfy the equation 2sin^2x+sins-2=0
c. Solve the equation 2cos x=tan x between 0 and 360 degrees
Relevant Equations
tan x=sin x / cos x
sin^2x+cos^2x=1
Question 1;
a. sin θ=√3/2
θ=arcsin √3/2
θ=π/3 rad
sin √3/2=60 degrees
60 degrees *π/180=π/3 rad.

To find the other solutions in the range, sin θ=sin(π-θ)
π-π/3=2π/3
The solutions are π/3 and 2π/3 in the range 0 ≤θ ≤2 π

b. cos2θ=0.5
2θ=arccos 0.5
2θ=π/3 rad
Divide both sides by 2;
θ=π/6 rad

To find the other solutions in the range, cos θ=cos(2π-θ)
2π-π/3=5π/3
Divide by 2 =5π/6

The solutions are π/6 and 5π/6 in the range 0 ≤θ ≤2 π

c. tan (2θ-π/4)=1
2θ-π/4=arctan 1
2θ-π/4 = π/4
Add π/4 to both sides;
2θ=π/4+π/4
2θ=π/2
Divide both sides by 2:
θ=π/4

To find other solutions in the range add π/2:
π/4+π/2=3π/4
3π/4+π/2=5π/4
5π/4+π/2=7π/4

The solutions are π/4, 3π/4, 5π/4 and 7π/4 in the range 0 ≤θ ≤2 π

I have also attached what I think the graphs of these equations would look like to find the required solutions. How can I improve or broaden my answers to more extensively exhibit my workings. I am a little confused here admittedly.

Question 2;
a. I have just plotted the graph using desmos and attached an image here. Clearly, there are two values of x that satisfy the equation in the range. Do I need to add anything to this statement, I feel the response is a little brief for the question?

b. Using the trigonometric identities;
tan x=sin x / cos x
and sin^2x+cos^2x=1

2cos x=tan x
Multiply the whole equation by cos x:
2cos x=sinx
Using the identity sin^2x+cos^2x=1, 2cos x becomes: 2(1-sin^2x)
2(1-sin^2x)=sinx
Expand the brackets;
2-2sin^2x=sinx
Subtract sin x from both sides;
2-2sin^2x-sinx=0
Divide by -1;
2sin^2x+sinx-2=0

c. To solve the equation 2cos x=tan x
This is shown to be equal to the quadratic;
2sin^2x+sinx-2=0

Let sin x = u
2u^2+u-2=0

Using the quadratic formula; a=2, b=1, c=-2
u=-b±√b^2-4ac/2a
u=-1±√1^2-4*2*(-2)/2*2
u=-1±√17/4
u=0.780 and x=-1.28 to 3.s.f

sin x = -1±√17/4
x=arcsin 0.78 =51.3 degrees to 3.s.f
x= arcsin -1.28 = no real solutions as x cannot be smaller than 1 for real solutions

To find other solutions in the range 0 ≤θ ≤360 degrees use sin θ=sin(180-θ):
180-51.3=128.7 degrees

So the solutions are 51.3 and 129 degrees to 3.s.f?

Would this be correct. I am very uncertain of trigonometric equation problems and I have been teaching myself which is perhaps why my knowledge is a little unstable and I am am sure in places erroneous. I would be very grateful of any help 👍

Attachments

• question 1 a.png
    question 1 a.png
    19 KB · Views: 117
  • question 1 b.png
    question 1 b.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 120
  • question 1 c.png
    question 1 c.png
    14.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Question 2 a.png
    Question 2 a.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 112
Physics news on Phys.org
Your post is quite long, with two questions with three parts each. Few members will want to wade through all of your work and comment on it.

I am closing this thread. Please repost questions 1 and 2 in separate threads. In the future, please limit your posts to one question with up to three parts.

1. What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or side lengths in a triangle.

2. How do I solve trigonometric equations?

To solve trigonometric equations, you need to use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to manipulate the equation into a form that can be solved. This may involve factoring, substitution, or using inverse trigonometric functions.

3. What are the common types of trigonometric equations?

The most common types of trigonometric equations are basic equations involving one trigonometric function, equations involving multiple trigonometric functions, and equations with inverse trigonometric functions.

4. What are some tips for solving trigonometric equations?

Some tips for solving trigonometric equations include using the unit circle to find reference angles, checking for extraneous solutions, and using the Pythagorean identities to simplify the equation.

5. Why do some people find trigonometric equations confusing?

Trigonometric equations can be confusing because they involve both algebraic and geometric concepts. Additionally, there are many different identities and techniques that can be used to solve these equations, making it easy to get lost or make mistakes.