What is the Best Lab Apparatus for Measuring Volume of Irregular Objects?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a piece of lab apparatus to measure the volume of an irregular object. The speaker cannot use displacement of water due to the object compressing under pressure. They suggest using a 3-D digitizing device or a device that can measure volume optically. The conversation also mentions a wand mounted on an articulated arm with rotary and linear encoders, as well as using a laser grid and TV camera to measure the volume. The conversation ends with a recommendation for an optical 3D digitizer device.
saplingg
Could anyone recommend a piece of lab apparatus which will measure the volume of an irregular object? I cannot use displacement of water as the object will compress under pressure and I suspect submerging the object in water will give a different displacement from the actual volume at 1 atm.

Ideally I would use something that could measure volume optically... Anybody know of an apparatus which does that?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know its density, you could just weigh it.

Otherwise, you could use a 3-D digitizing device to digitize its outline. I've seen them in the past, but will have to do a quick search to see if I can find one. It's like a wand mounted on an articulated arm with rotary and linear encoders to pick up where the tip of the wand is.

I don't think you'll be able to do it optically in the general case. If your object is always convex, then you could probably do it optically with a laser grid projected on the object, and a TV camera picking up the image as you rotate it.

Thanks alot! that's just what i needed.

Related to What is the Best Lab Apparatus for Measuring Volume of Irregular Objects?

1. What is an apparatus to measure volume?

An apparatus to measure volume is a tool or instrument used in science to determine the amount of space occupied by a substance or object. It is commonly used in chemistry, physics, and other scientific fields.

2. How does an apparatus to measure volume work?

An apparatus to measure volume typically works by using a measuring scale or graduations on the instrument to determine the volume of a substance. It may also involve displacement of a liquid or gas, or the use of a burette or pipette to accurately measure volume.

3. What are some common types of apparatus to measure volume?

Some common types of apparatus to measure volume include graduated cylinders, beakers, burettes, pipettes, and volumetric flasks. Each of these instruments has a specific purpose and level of accuracy.

4. How accurate are apparatuses to measure volume?

The accuracy of an apparatus to measure volume depends on the instrument and its intended use. Most commonly used volumetric instruments have a tolerance of ±0.2% or better, meaning they can measure volume with high precision.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of an apparatus to measure volume?

The accuracy of an apparatus to measure volume can be affected by factors such as the calibration of the instrument, the temperature and pressure of the substance being measured, and human error in reading the instrument's measurements. It is important to follow proper techniques and use appropriate instruments to ensure accurate volume measurements.