Measuring the Volume of a Cup: A Scientific Analysis

• I
  • Thread starter cp3themvp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, the two experiments propose that the volume of the cup is found by submerging it completely and measuring the change in water level.
cp3themvp
If I submerge a cup in a graduated cylinder filled with water, will the change of the water line show me the volume of the cup? Or is this not the case?

I am in an argument with a friend, he believes that the volume of the cup could be found by holding the top of the cup right about the water line(in other words, not allowing any water to enter to the cup) and then measuring the change of the water line. I argued that if one uses this method of measurement, that the change in the water line now includes the volume of the air that is inside of the cup.

The scientific definition of volume I found is the amount of space an object takes up. In the 1st experiment I proposed, I believe this finds the amount of space the cup takes up. In the 2nd experiment, I believe this finds the amount of space the cup takes up+the amount of space the air inside of the cup takes up. Am I correct, or is the 2nd experiment actually the correct method for measuring the volume of a cup?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, drown the cup. There is a famous story about this experiment:
http://www.longlongtimeago.com/once-upon-a-time/great-discoveries/eureka-the-story-of-archimedes-and-the-golden-crown/

Likes anorlunda
cp3themvp said:
I am in an argument with a friend, he believes that the volume of the cup could be found by holding the top of the cup right about the water line(in other words, not allowing any water to enter to the cup) and then measuring the change of the water line. I argued that if one uses this method of measurement, that the change in the water line now includes the volume of the air that is inside of the cup.

The scientific definition of volume I found is the amount of space an object takes up. In the 1st experiment I proposed, I believe this finds the amount of space the cup takes up. In the 2nd experiment, I believe this finds the amount of space the cup takes up+the amount of space the air inside of the cup takes up. Am I correct, or is the 2nd experiment actually the correct method for measuring the volume of a cup?

This is an issue of wording. By 'volume of the cup' do you two mean the volume of fluid that the cup can hold? Or do you mean the volume of the material composing the cup? The former would require that you just fill the cup with fluid and pour it into a graduated cylinder. The latter is found by submerging the entire cup, not just submerge it until the water reaches the rim.

Likes davenn
cp3themvp said:
The scientific definition of volume...
Don't waste your time on arguing about definitions. Just clarify which volume you both mean and use qualifiers to distinguish them. It depends on the application which volume is the relevant one.

cp3themvp said:
If I submerge a cup in a graduated cylinder filled with water, will the change of the water line show me the volume of the cup? Or is this not the case?

This can easily be clarified by specifying if you want the volume of the MATERIAL that forms the cup, or do you want the volume that the cup can hold.

These are two different definitions and give two different volumes.

By submerging the cup in water and making sure that there are no air pockets, you are measuring the volume of material that forms the cup. By filling the cup up to the brim with water and then measuring that volume of water, you are measuring the volume that the cup can hold.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This can easily be clarified by specifying if you want the volume of the MATERIAL that forms the cup, or do you want the volume that the cup can hold.
I think the method suggested by the OP's friend is a third variant: the sum of the two volumes above. This would be relevant if you plan to use the cup as a boat, and want know its maximal displacement.

1. What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume is typically expressed in liters (L) or milliliters (mL) in the metric system, or in cups (c), pints (pt), quarts (qt), or gallons (gal) in the imperial system.

2. How is the volume of a cup calculated?

The volume of a cup is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cup in centimeters (cm) or inches (in) and then converting the result into the desired unit of measurement for volume.

3. What is the standard volume of a cup?

The standard volume of a cup is 240 milliliters (mL) or 8 fluid ounces (fl oz). However, in the United States, the standard volume of a cup is slightly different at 236.6 milliliters (mL) or 8.12 fluid ounces (fl oz).

4. Can the volume of a cup vary?

Yes, the volume of a cup can vary depending on the material it is made of, the thickness of its walls, and the accuracy of its measurements. This is why it is important to use standard measuring cups for accurate volume measurements in recipes and scientific experiments.

5. How does the volume of a cup compare to other units of measurement for volume?

The volume of a cup is equal to half a pint, one-sixteenth of a gallon, and 16 tablespoons. It is also approximately equal to 0.24 liters or 240 milliliters.