N,N-dimethyltryptamine, what is it?

by brianthewhitie7
Tags: ndimethyltryptamine
brianthewhitie7
Apr26-07, 09:51 AM
P: 17

I looked up research and sites told me it was made by the pineal gland but from other sites it sounded as thou it was created from a chemical reaction caused by the pineal gland. And that used you experience intense visual hallucinations.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Recycling industrial waste water: Scientists discover a new method of producing hydrogen
Making radiation-proof materials for electronics, power plants
A greener source of polyester?cork trees
chemisttree
Apr26-07, 11:23 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
The pineal gland source is only a theory. It may be present in blood and urine naturally as a metabolic byproduct. Its presence in the body to perform psychoacitive functions (calmness, etc..) is debatable. It has been isolated from plant materials used by Amazonian shaman to elicit 'visions'. Tryptamine is the putative source of DMT (after several transformations) in the human body. Tryptamine itself (a common amino acid) has been used to curb cravings (drug and alcohol) and produce calming effects. I don't think that it's transformation into DMT is responsible for those effects.

It is also a Schedule One substance regulated by the FDA in the US and is a Schedule One substance by the UN. Possession of it in the US is a Federal Offense.
brianthewhitie7
Apr26-07, 11:29 AM
So researches haven't really found any hard facts about DMT?

chemisttree
Apr26-07, 11:32 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

It is definitely a Schedule One Controlled Substance. That is one fact that is indisputable.
brianthewhitie7
Apr26-07, 02:01 PM
Well alright.

Register to reply