What does it mean to specify the extensive state of an ideal gas?

zenterix
TL;DR Summary
What exactly does it mean to describe the extensive state of a system composed of a single one-phase ideal gas?
I was trying to solve the following problem at the end of chapter 1 of the book "Physical Chemistry", 4th Edition, by Silbey, Alberty, and Bawendy:

The intensive state of an ideal gas can be completely defined by specifying (1) T, P, (2) T, V, or (3) P, V. The extensive state of an ideal gas can be specified in four ways. What are the combinations of properties that can be used to specify the extensive state of an ideal gas? Although these choices are deduced for an ideal gas, they also apply to real gases.

Here is the information I collected about this topic in the chapter:

1) Intensive properties of a gas remain the same for any subsystem of a system.

2) Extensive properties change when we consider subsystems of a system.

3) A state equation describes the state of a gas based on the values of a few specific variables.

In the case of an ideal gas, the ideal gas state equation is PV = nRT.

P and T are intensive: if we have a system consisting of a certain amount of gas (n moles) at P, T, and V and we consider only half of the system, then this half-system will have the same P and T but both V and n will be cut in half. Note that V/n will be the same in the half-system.

Thus, P, T, and V/n are intensive properties of the system and V and n are extensive properties.

A certain number of intensive variables describe the intensive state of a system. This "certain number" is ##N_S+1##, where ##N_S## is the number of different kinds of species in the system.

On the other hand, we can also speak of an extensive state of a system, but to describe it we need a certain number of intensive variables plus at least one extensive variable. This "certain number" is ##(N_S+1)+1##, with the last one being extensive.

Now, in the problem above, we are told that we can describe the intensive state of a system in three different ways, each consisting of two intensive variables. We wish to describe the extensive state.

When I first tried to solve this problem, I could only find three ways

1) P, V, n
2) P, T, n
3) T, V, n

because I understood from the chapter text that only one of the variables should be extensive and two intensive.

However, I looked up the answer and the four ways are

1) P, V, n
2) P, T, n
3) T, V, n
4) P, V, T

So, it's ok to have two extensive variables and one intensive variable to describe the extensive state.

Truth is at this point I have no idea what it means to describe the extensive state.

In PV=nRT, since R is just a constant then if we specify any three of the four remaining variables we can obtain the fourth variable.

It seems that it was we are doing here.

My question is, what exactly does it mean to describe the extensive state?.

Attachments

• 1692136109435.png
    1692136109435.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 53
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Extensive properties depend on the amount of substance, any way of describing the system which can be used to calculate number of moles fits.

We can express any equation of state of a pure single phase substance in a form involving three intensive variables: F(P,T,v)=0 where the specific molar volume v is given by $$v=\frac{V}{n}$$ so once two of the three intensive variables are specified, the third one is known. But the state is also determined by the amount of substance you have, so we need an additional (extensive) variable to specify the state: n or V separately. So, for example, state 1 is $$1)\ T,v,n=T,\frac{V}{n},n\rightarrow T,V,n$$

zenterix said:
Now, in the problem above, we are told that we can describe the intensive state of a system in three different ways, each consisting of two intensive variables.
I was confused by this statement until I found out that the ##V## in the problem statement you provided is actually ##\bar{V}## (what Chester called ##v##) in the actual problem statement in the book, not the ##V## as you used the symbol everywhere else in your post. It would have been helpful if you had pointed that out.

1. What is an extensive state of an ideal gas?

An extensive state of an ideal gas refers to the properties of the gas that depend on the amount of gas present. These properties include volume, internal energy, and the number of moles. They are called extensive because they scale directly with the mass or quantity of the gas.

2. How do you specify the extensive state of an ideal gas?

To specify the extensive state of an ideal gas, you need to provide values for its extensive properties such as the total volume (V), the total internal energy (U), and the total number of moles (n). These quantities provide a complete description of the state of the gas in terms of its size and energy content.

3. What is the difference between extensive and intensive properties?

Extensive properties, such as volume and internal energy, depend on the amount of substance present and change when the size of the sample changes. Intensive properties, like temperature and pressure, do not depend on the amount of substance and remain constant regardless of the size of the sample. Both types of properties are necessary to fully describe the state of an ideal gas.

4. Why is it important to specify the extensive state of an ideal gas?

Specifying the extensive state of an ideal gas is crucial for predicting how the gas will behave under different conditions. It allows scientists and engineers to apply the ideal gas law and other thermodynamic equations to determine other properties of the gas, such as its pressure, temperature, and potential changes in state when subjected to various processes.

5. How does the ideal gas law relate to the extensive properties of an ideal gas?

The ideal gas law, given by PV = nRT, relates the extensive properties of volume (V) and moles (n) to the intensive properties of pressure (P) and temperature (T), with R being the gas constant. This equation shows how the extensive and intensive properties of an ideal gas are interconnected, allowing for calculations that predict gas behavior under different conditions.