Register to reply

Age limit to donating blood

by Mk
Tags: blood, donating, limit
Share this thread:
Mk
Apr28-07, 03:31 PM
P: 2,056
I noticed that there are normally age limits to donating blood, 17 being the most common. Why must there be an age limit? Isn't a 16-year-old's blood just as good as a 17-year-old's? I can't imagine it would be that bad for a person's own health to donate blood. Is it because of responsibility? Like a kid might try and uh, donate more blood than he should? Seems like people normally care about themselves and don't donate when almost anybody could.
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Climate change puts endangered Devils Hole pupfish at risk of extinction
adrenaline
Apr29-07, 05:27 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 274
Quote Quote by Mk View Post
I noticed that there are normally age limits to donating blood, 17 being the most common. Why must there be an age limit? Isn't a 16-year-old's blood just as good as a 17-year-old's? I can't imagine it would be that bad for a person's own health to donate blood. Is it because of responsibility? Like a kid might try and uh, donate more blood than he should? Seems like people normally care about themselves and don't donate when almost anybody could.
Purely medical legal reasons, not physiologic as you stated.

Most states consider those below 17 minors and since blood donation is not without risk, would require a lot of paperwork etc. to have a teen donate. Blood banks make exceptions for those younger than 17 for very special occassions like harvesting blood for cancer reasons or autologous blood transfusions etc.
Mk
May1-07, 07:24 PM
P: 2,056
Quote Quote by adrenaline View Post
Most states consider those below 17 minors and since blood donation is not without risk, would require a lot of paperwork etc. to have a teen donate.
Why isn't it 18 then?

jim mcnamara
May2-07, 06:26 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,382
Age limit to donating blood

Short answer: legal reason is often a synonym for arbitrary choice. Arbitrary is a player in every field that local laws infringe upon.
imabug
May2-07, 08:33 AM
P: 345
This is the Red Cross' explanation for the age limit
In-Depth Discussion of Age and Blood Donation

Those younger than age 17 are almost always legal minors (not yet of the age of majority) who cannot give consent by themselves to donate blood. (Each state determines its own age of majority, which can be different for different activities.)

Persons under the age of 17 may, however, donate blood for their own use, in advance of scheduled surgery or in situations where their blood has special medical value for a particular patient such as a family member.
http://www.redcross.org/services/bio...0_557_,00.html

Register to reply