Register to reply

Practice Test Quesitons

by AznBoi
Tags: practice, quesitons, test
Share this thread:
AznBoi
Apr29-07, 12:00 AM
P: 471

My work, my answers are wrong obviously.

18. [tex]U_{E}=\frac{kq1q2}{d}[/tex] -- I substituted the electric force with the work equation to get this.

25. Q=mL, Q=mcT . I combined these to get mL=mcT, stuck from there.

47. F=q(v x B), v=F/qB, F=mv^2/r
I combined these equations to get: mv/r=qB and solved for v and I then I just guessed.

48. Why is the answer D?? I know that it has something to do with lenz's law but I only know how to apply that law for magnets moving with either North or South pole. (If a north pole of a magnet moves towards the wire the induced current is counter clockwise right? If the south pole moves into the wire it is clock wise?)-- Is this right?

Thanks for your help guys! =]
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 12:07 AM
HW Helper
P: 505
Sorry we are not giving answers as such. You may get hints for your doubts and confusions only. Show your approach in case not getting the correct answers.
AznBoi
Apr29-07, 12:09 AM
Oh, I just posted the picture first to see if it worked lol. Anyways, my attempts are on the board! Do you want me to post the answers too? I have the answer key btw, just not the solutions.

mukundpa
Apr29-07, 12:20 AM
HW Helper
Practice Test Quesitons

Is the diagram is given? Should be, otherwise what is Q? what about the position of the point P?
AznBoi
Apr29-07, 12:28 AM
Quote Quote by mukundpa View Post
Is the diagram is given? Should be, otherwise what is Q? what about the position of the point P?
Yeah, I realized that lol. I forgot to include the picture because I got 17 right. So for 17, all I did was add the two electric field vectors (one to the left and one down) to get the resultant vector which is (c) right? Thanks.
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 12:30 AM
HW Helper
Now it is clear. There are two charges Q both at a distance d from the third corner of the square.

Find potential V at that point due to both Q charges (Potential is a scalar quantity) then multiply q and V.
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 12:33 AM
HW Helper
For the next heat is required to first increase the temperature of ice up to the melting point then latent heat to melt and then to increase temperature of water.
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 12:45 AM
HW Helper
For the next you got the relation for v. Put the value of e/m for proton and probable values of B and r and will get the order of the velocity.
AznBoi
Apr29-07, 01:10 AM
Now it is clear. There are two charges Q both at a distance d from the third corner of the square.

Find potential V at that point due to both Q charges (Potential is a scalar quantity) then multiply q and V.
So how do you find the potential v at the point? I know that [tex]V=\frac{U_{e}}{q} =Ed[/tex]
I don't get what you mean by then multiply q and v.
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 01:26 AM
HW Helper
The potential at that point will be KQ/d due to each charge Q so what is the total potential? and what is the potential energy?
AznBoi
Apr29-07, 02:10 AM
The potential at that point will be KQ/d due to each charge Q so what is the total potential? and what is the potential energy?
OKay, so [tex]\frac{kQ}{d}+\frac{kQ}{d}=2\frac{kQ}{d} *q= 2k\frac{qQ}{d}[/tex]? So how do you know that you need to add the potential differences rather than just the potential energies? You can do it either way right? So do you just add them because they are a scalar? Is there any time where you need to subtract them? (mabye when the charges are opposite?) So if the quantities are scalar you just add them and if they are vectors you need to use pythagorean or trig right?
mukundpa
Apr29-07, 05:19 AM
HW Helper
Going in the right direction.

Register to reply