Charged particle motion in a magnetic feild

In summary, the particle experiences a magnetic force of 3.2x10 15 N, has a charge of +1e, and moves around a circle at a speed of 2πr/v.
Send BoBs

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a circle in a region of uniform magnetic field of magnitude B=4.0 mT. The
particle is either a proton or an electron. It experiences a magnetic force of magnitude 3.2x1015 N.
What are (a) the charge of the particle? (b) The particle speed? (c) The radius of the circle? And
(d) the period of motion?

My only question is how do I determine the charge of the particle?

Homework Equations

Fb=qV×B
Fcircle=mv2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

a) If I assume that the magnetic field is going into the page (×) and the Force on the particle is positive then q⋅v must also be positive ∴ The particle positively charged +1e.

I'm not entirely sure that this is correct. I don't know if it matters if I make the magnetic field go into or out of the page since B and Fb are both given to be positive. My choice of positive and negative axis would have to be in a way makes both F and B positive anyways.

b) FB=qvB => v = Fb/qB

c) FB=mv2/r => r=mv/qB

d) v=d/t => v=2πr/t => t=2πr/v

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm guessing you get the charge by finding the mass. What were your answers for the other questions?

berkeman said:
I'm guessing you get the charge by finding the mass. What were your answers for the other questions?

The mass is determined by whether the particle is a proton or an electron as each of those are known. The only use for the mass is finding the radius of the circle.

The direction of motion of the particle is determined by it's charge in the case of it being either a proton or an electron. A proton would move counter clockwise around the circle and an electron would move clockwise around the circle.

Yes, but were you able to eliminate one of the possible particles based on the information you were given and the masses you know for each of the 2 particles?

Send BoBs said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves along a circle in a region of uniform magnetic field of magnitude B=4.0 mT. The
particle is either a proton or an electron. It experiences a magnetic force of magnitude 3.2x10 15 N.
What are (a) the charge of the particle? (b) The particle speed? (c) The radius of the circle? And
(d) the period of motion?

My only question is how do I determine the charge of the particle?
Are you sure that the problem statement is complete and word-for-word as it was given to you? Was there no image to go along with the problem?

I presume that the force magnitude was meant to be ##3.2 \times 10^{-15}~N## rather than ##3.2 \times 10^{15}~N## ?

berkeman said:
Yes, but were you able to eliminate one of the possible particles based on the information you were given and the masses you know for each of the 2 particles?
yes I know the mass for a proton and an electron. My trouble is knowing for sure if the particle is a proton or electron. Knowing the magnetic field and force vectors should let me determine the velocity vector which would tell me if the particle is a proton or an electron.

I am not sure if I'm using the right hand rule properly to find the velocity vector and thus the charge.
gneill said:
Are you sure that the problem statement is complete and word-for-word as it was given to you? Was there no image to go along with the problem?

I presume that the force magnitude was meant to be ##3.2 \times 10^{-15}~N## rather than ##3.2 \times 10^{15}~N## ?
I have shown all information given exactly as it originally was. This question comes from a previous physics exam of which I got a .doc copy of. There is no image for this question. I have also failed to find this exact question in my Halliday Resnik 10th edition physics textbook.

However I do think it's likely that the force is meant to be to the power of -15 and there was a typo on the exam.

Thank you. I should really search online a bit before giving up...

This makes me believe the .doc file I have is missing information or some information is in the wrong format. I guess it's back to the textbook for the rest of my studying.

I'm glad that we could help you clear up the matter :smile:

1. What is a charged particle?

A charged particle is an atom or molecule that has an imbalance of positive or negative charge. This can be caused by gaining or losing electrons, or by being made up of different numbers of protons and electrons.

2. How does a magnetic field affect charged particles?

A magnetic field can exert a force on a charged particle, causing it to move in a circular or helical path. The direction of the force is perpendicular to both the direction of the particle's motion and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the difference between a positive and negative charge in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, a positive charge will experience a force in one direction, while a negative charge will experience a force in the opposite direction. This is due to the fact that positive and negative charges have opposite polarities and therefore interact differently with the magnetic field.

4. How does the velocity of a charged particle affect its motion in a magnetic field?

The velocity of a charged particle affects the strength and direction of the force it experiences in a magnetic field. A faster-moving particle will experience a greater force, while a particle moving in a different direction than the magnetic field will experience a different force.

5. What are some real-world applications of charged particle motion in a magnetic field?

Charged particle motion in a magnetic field is used in a variety of technologies, including particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and magnetic storage devices. It is also important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in space, such as the particles in Earth's magnetosphere.