Find the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on electron?

In summary, an electron moving due south with a velocity of 3.09 x 106 m/s in a region of space with a uniform electric field of E = 4.28 x 104 V/m directed due east and a uniform magnetic field of B = 0.071 T directed due east will experience a magnitude of electromagnetic force of 4.20 x 10^-14 N, determined using the equation Fb + Fe = F(electromagnetic force) and vector addition. The two forces are perpendicular, so the Pythagorean theorem can be used to find the magnitude of the result.
prokaryote

Homework Statement

In a certain region of space, there is a uniform electric field, E = 4.28 x 104 V/m directed due east, and a uniform magnetic field B = 0.071 T, also directed due east. What is the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron moving due south with a velocity of 3.09 x 106 m/s?

Homework Equations

Fb = qB(v*sinθ), where Fb is the force of the magnetic field, B is the magnitude of the magnetic field, v is the velocity.
Fb + Fe = F(electromagnetic force)

The Attempt at a Solution

I determined that the electric field would generate a westward force on the electron, and the magnetic field would exert a force into the page. I tried to use the relationship Fb + Fe = Ftotal and got 4.20*10^-14 N, but it was wrong. I'm not really sure what else to try.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the directions correct. Be sure to use vector addition.

TSny said:
You have the directions correct. Be sure to use vector addition.
Ok, I tried doing vector addition but I'm pretty stuck. Could you please take a look at my work and let me know if I'm completely off? I feel lost
https://imgur.com/a/0HwuI

1. How is the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron determined?

The magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron is determined by the equation F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge of the electron, and E is the electric field strength. This equation is derived from Coulomb's Law and represents the force exerted on a charged particle by an electric field.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron?

The magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron is affected by the charge of the electron, the strength of the electric field, and the distance between the electron and the source of the electric field. The force is directly proportional to the charge and the electric field strength, and inversely proportional to the distance squared.

3. Can the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron can be negative. This would occur if the electron is moving in the opposite direction of the electric field, causing the force to act in the opposite direction. However, the magnitude of the force is always positive.

4. How does the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron compare to the force of gravity?

The magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron is much stronger than the force of gravity. For example, the force between two electrons is approximately 10^42 times stronger than the force of gravity between them. This is because the electromagnetic force is based on the charges of the particles, while gravity is based on the masses.

5. Can the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron be measured?

Yes, the magnitude of the electromagnetic force on an electron can be measured using various instruments such as an electrometer or a charged particle detector. The force can also be calculated using the equation F = qE, where the values for charge and electric field strength can be obtained through experiments.