Work required to extract fluid

• Thread starter Metaleer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fluid Work
I think that's the answerIn summary, the problem asks for the amount of work needed to empty a right circular cone filled with water, given its height and radius. The solution involves calculating the center of mass of the cone and using the formula W = mgh to find the work needed to lift the water out of the container. Alternatively, an integral can be set up to determine the work needed. The result will be negative, indicating that an external force is needed to extract the water.
Metaleer

Homework Statement

A right circular cone with water has a height of 6 ft and the upper circular base has a radius of 8 ft. How much work is needed to empty said container if the extraction is done from above?

5xyu73k.jpg

Homework Equations

68bm0sl.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, I tried dividing the cone shaped container into thin slices and calculate the amount of work needed to lift each and every one of these thin slices out of the container via antiderivatives...

4ktkro3.jpg

But I'm not sure how to continue. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The spirit of your 'attempt' is correct. So what did you get for the integral and what's the problem from there?

is this question for a math class of physics class?

if it is for physics, then simply treat it as a particle at its center of mass, and calculate the work... that reduces the problem to finding the center of mass of a cone.

or you can set up an integral...look at each differential disk, what is the mass of that disk and how much does it have to be lift?

and then,
well,
[tex]W=\Delta E=mg\Delta h[/tex]

just a side note... does the question say whether not the density of that cone is uniform? if not then you'll get some additional complications.
what do you get for the integrand?

Last edited:
Dick, the integrand is somewhat complicated to put here, Mathematica won't let me copy it for some reason, but the problem was, ok I have a differential disk... its mass would be calculated with density = mass/volume?

tim_lou, the first option seems easier... I determined that the center of mass is a quarter of the total height from the top, so it's at a height of 4.5 ft.

4xw3z86.jpg

Note that I converted to Internation System units. The negative work means that an external force has to act on the water to get it out, as the water won't obviously won't drain out on its own. What do you think?

Thanks again, Dick and tim_lou. I believe this method is easier than using differential disks.

EDIT: I think it would be better to consider where the center of mass originally was as it having 0 potential energy... this way W = - m*g* 1.3716

Last edited:

1. What is work required to extract fluid?

The work required to extract fluid refers to the amount of energy or force needed to remove a fluid from its source or container. This can include pumping, lifting, or other methods of extraction.

2. How is the work required to extract fluid calculated?

The work required to extract fluid is calculated using the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance the fluid is moved. This calculation takes into account the amount of force needed to overcome any resistance or pressure in the fluid's source or container.

3. What factors affect the work required to extract fluid?

The work required to extract fluid can be affected by various factors such as the type and viscosity of the fluid, the distance it needs to be moved, the type of equipment used for extraction, and any resistance or pressure in the fluid's source or container.

4. Why is understanding the work required to extract fluid important?

Understanding the work required to extract fluid is important for various reasons. It helps determine the efficiency of the extraction process and can aid in the design and optimization of equipment used for extraction. It also helps in estimating the amount of energy or resources needed for the extraction process.

5. Can the work required to extract fluid be reduced?

Yes, the work required to extract fluid can be reduced by using more efficient equipment, optimizing the extraction process, and reducing any resistance or pressure in the fluid's source or container. Additionally, using fluids with lower viscosity can also reduce the amount of work required for extraction.