Calculate new height of truncated cone

In summary: The required frustum is the part of a full cone which remains after the cone’s ‘tip’ (itself a cone) is removed. ##V_{frustum} = V_{full cone}~-~V_{tip}##.Using the above gives a more manageable way to find '##h_1##'. But it’s still a bit messy.The required frustum is the part of a full cone which remains after the cone’s ‘tip’ (itself a cone) is removed. ##V_{frustum} = V_{full cone}~-~V_{tip}##.To find #h_
tjosan
Hi,

Suppose you have a truncated cone filled water with the lower radius being R, and upper r (R>r), and the height is H.

R, r and H is known so the volume, V, can be calculated using V=1/3*pi*H*(R^2+R*r+r^2). Now suppose you remove some water so that you end up with a lower volume, V1.

The water surface will now have a radius of r1, and the height will be h. The overall shape of the cone will remain the same though, its just that the surface has moved down.

How can I calculate the new height? I cannot wrap my head around this. First I just used the new volume in the formula above and solved for H, but then I realized the upper radius isn't the same anymore, so that wont work.

I attached an image to illustrate.

Thanks!

Attachments

• cone.png
    cone.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 96
Mathematics news on Phys.org
think about how the radius of the cone changes with height.

Likes FactChecker
Dr Transport said:
think about how the radius of the cone changes with height.
I think I solved it.

The ratio, C, between the H and R-r must remain the same for the new cone (because the angle is the same, tan (angle) = constant) , so C = H/(R-r) = H1/(R-r1) => H1=C*(R-r1) [1]

V1=1/3*pi*H1*(R^2+R*r1+r1^2) = 1/3*pi*C*(R-r1)*(R^2+R*r1+r1^2), where r1 is the new upper radius, V1 is the new volume. Solve for r1 and then use equation [1] to solve for H1.

tjosan said:
The ratio, C, between the H and R-r must remain the same for the new cone (because the angle is the same, tan (angle) = constant) , so C = H/(R-r) = H1/(R-r1) => H1=C*(R-r1) [1]

V1=1/3*pi*H1*(R^2+R*r1+r1^2) = 1/3*pi*C*(R-r1)*(R^2+R*r1+r1^2), where r1 is the new upper radius, V1 is the new volume. Solve for r1 and then use equation [1] to solve for H1.
Your method should work (I haven’t tried it) but it looks like you will end-up having to solve a really messy cubic equation in ##r_1##.

Here are some hints for an alternative approach.

With conventional notation, the volume of a cone is ##V(r, h) = \frac 13 \pi r^2 h##. The difficulty here is that ##V## is a function of 2 variables, ##r## and ##h##. In your question, the cone angle is effectively given; this gives a simple relationship between ##r## and ##h##. You should be able to show that ##V(h) = kh^3## where ##k## is a constant. ##V(h) ## is now a sinple function of the single variable ##h##.

(You have enough information to find ##k## and the height of the ‘full’ cone in terms of the given data.)

The required frustum is the part of a full cone which remains after the cone’s ‘tip’ (itself a cone) is removed. ##V_{frustum} = V_{full cone}~-~V_{tip}##.

Using the above gives a more manageable way to find '##h_1##'. But it’s still a bit messy.

(Note. We prefer LaTeX for equations here. The link to a guide is https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/). This is the link shown at the bottom left of the edit window.)

Likes Lnewqban

1. How do you calculate the new height of a truncated cone?

To calculate the new height of a truncated cone, you will need to know the original height, the original radius, and the new radius. Then, you can use the formula h' = (r'/r) * h, where h' is the new height, r' is the new radius, and r is the original radius. This formula assumes that the new height and radius are proportional to the original height and radius.

2. Can you calculate the new height of a truncated cone if you only know the volume?

Yes, you can calculate the new height of a truncated cone if you know the original height, the original radius, and the new volume. You can use the formula h' = (V'/V) * h, where h' is the new height, V' is the new volume, and V is the original volume. This formula also assumes that the new height and volume are proportional to the original height and volume.

3. What is a truncated cone?

A truncated cone is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by slicing the top off of a cone at a certain height. This results in a shape that has a circular base and a flat top, with a curved surface connecting the two. It is also known as a frustum.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating the new height of a truncated cone?

Calculating the new height of a truncated cone can be useful in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and construction. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a building or the volume of a storage tank with a truncated cone shape. It can also be helpful in creating custom-shaped objects using 3D printing technology.

5. Are there any other formulas for calculating the new height of a truncated cone?

Yes, there are other formulas for calculating the new height of a truncated cone, depending on the given information. For example, if you know the original and new radii, as well as the slant height of the original cone, you can use the formula h' = (r'/r) * √(h^2 + l^2), where h' is the new height, r' is the new radius, h is the original height, and l is the slant height. There are also formulas that involve the angle of the cone and the height of the cut, but they are more complex and not commonly used.