How would you calculate how deep an object would go in water?

In summary, the ball's buoyant force increases by an amount proportional to the area of the displaced fluid.
flamephoenix15

Homework Statement

So given a ball, radius r, mass m ,an a known height y from the surface the ball is dropped from, how would you calculate the depth the ball goes to in water (including the water it displaces), with the density of the ball less than the density of water. Ignore surface tension and the viscous properties of water.

Homework Equations

equation[/B]
Fb = ρgAh (h being depth and A cross sectional area)
mgy = Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the "Bouyant energy" is equal to ∫Fbdh, h being depth since Gravitational Energy is equal to ∫Fgdy, y being height. However, I do not know if I am approaching this correctly and I do not know how to solve for the displaced fluid which is incorporated into the depth the ball goes to.

Physics news on Phys.org
flamephoenix15 said:

Homework Statement

So given a ball, radius r, mass m ,an a known height y from the surface the ball is dropped from, how would you calculate the depth the ball goes to in water (including the water it displaces), with the density of the ball less than the density of water. Ignore surface tension and the viscous properties of water.

Homework Equations

equation[/B]
Fb = ρgAh (h being depth and A cross sectional area)
mgy = Fg

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the "Bouyant energy" is equal to ∫Fbdh, h being depth since Gravitational Energy is equal to ∫Fgdy, y being height. However, I do not know if I am approaching this correctly and I do not know how to solve for the displaced fluid which is incorporated into the depth the ball goes to.
Hi Flamephoenix15. Welcome to PF!

I gather that we are to assume that regardless of the energy of the impact of the ball with the water, the water does not gain any kinetic energy from that impact. So we are dealing only with the conversion of the ball's gravitational potential energy at height y to buoyant potential energy at depth d.

The problem is that the buoyant force on the ball while not completely submerged will depend on the amount of water displaced by it and that could vary from 0 to Vball. That is not a simple calculation.

Addendum: If the ball is not dropped at all, work out the amount of water it will displace and, from that, determine the depth that the bottom of the spherical ball will reach. Then it would be a matter of determining the increased displacement as a function of y and converting that to depth.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
The problem is that the buoyant force on the ball while not completely submerged will depend on the amount of water displaced by it and that could vary from 0 to Vball. That is not a simple calculation.
I think it is a simple calculation. Assume that the ball is submerged so that its lowest point is ##z## below the surface. Then if it is submerged by an additional amount ##dz##, the additional displaced water will have the volume of a disk of area ##A=\pi[R^2-(R-z)^2]##. This can be used to find the incremental buoyant force ##d(BF)## and the integration to find the total buoyant force should not be too hard.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
I think it is a simple calculation. Assume that the ball is submerged so that its lowest point is ##z## below the surface. Then if it is submerged by an additional amount ##dz##, the additional displaced water will have the volume of a disk of area ##dA=\pi[R^2-(R-z)^2]##. This can be used to find the incremental buoyant force ##d(BF)## and the integration to find the total buoyant force should not be too hard.
So if we have ##dA##, we could integrate it and multiply it as a function of depth to find the Volume of the displaced fluid. Then you could intengrate the buoyant force with respect to volume ##dV## to find the depth, or would you integrate it with respect to depth ##dh##?

flamephoenix15 said:
So if we have ##dA##, we could integrate it and multiply it as a function of depth to find the Volume of the displaced fluid. Then you could intengrate the buoyant force with respect to volume ##dV## to find the depth, or would you integrate it with respect to depth ##dh##?
No. First you need to find by how much the buoyant force increases when the sphere sinks by an additional amount ##dz##. This is related to the area of the disk ##A## (I mistakenly wrote ##dA## in post #3). Then the volume of the displaced water is ##dV=A~dz##. What is ##d(BF)##? That's what you should integrate.

Andrew Mason said:
Hi Flamephoenix15. Welcome to PF!

I gather that we are to assume that regardless of the energy of the impact of the ball with the water, the water does not gain any kinetic energy from that impact. So we are dealing only with the conversion of the ball's gravitational potential energy at height y to buoyant potential energy at depth d.

Addendum: If the ball is not dropped at all, work out the amount of water it will displace and, from that, determine the depth that the bottom of the spherical ball will reach. Then it would be a matter of determining the increased displacement as a function of y and converting that to depth.

AM
It is going to varry, however if I could experimentally measure h
kuruman said:
No. First you need to find by how much the buoyant force increases when the sphere sinks by an additional amount ##dz##. This is related to the area of the disk ##A## (I mistakenly wrote ##dA## in post #3). Then the volume of the displaced water is ##dV=A~dz##. What is ##d(BF)##? That's what you should integrate.
Ohhhh, I got it, that actually helps quite a bit assuming you are correct, and your calculations appear to make sense. Thanks!

flamephoenix15 said:
It is going to varry, however if I could experimentally measure h

Ohhhh, I got it, that actually helps quite a bit assuming you are correct, and your calculations appear to make sense. Thanks!
Perhaps you can post your results when you get them. Also make sure that your expression gives the correct ##BF## when the depth is ##z=0## (must be zero) and when it is fully submerged (##z=2R##).

1. How do you calculate the density of an object?

The density of an object can be calculated by dividing the mass of the object by its volume. This can be expressed as the equation: Density = Mass/Volume.

2. What is the formula for calculating buoyancy?

The formula for calculating buoyancy is: Buoyant force = (density of fluid)(volume of displaced fluid)(acceleration due to gravity). This formula helps determine the upward force that a fluid exerts on an object placed in it.

3. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object affects its buoyancy because it determines the amount of fluid that is displaced by the object. An object that is more dense than the fluid it is placed in will sink, while an object that is less dense will float. The shape also affects the distribution of the object's weight, which can impact its stability in the water.

4. How do you calculate the weight of an object in water?

The weight of an object in water can be calculated by using the formula: Weight in water = Weight of object - Buoyant force. This formula takes into account the buoyant force of the water on the object, which is equal to the weight of the displaced water.

5. How would you use Archimedes' principle to determine the depth an object will sink in water?

To use Archimedes' principle to determine the depth an object will sink in water, you would first calculate the buoyant force on the object using the formula mentioned in question 2. Then, you can use the equation: Depth = (Buoyant force)/(Density of fluid)(Acceleration due to gravity). This will give you the depth at which the object will sink in the water.