Register to reply

Architect verses Civil Engineer

by Sphereic
Tags: architect, civil, engineer, verses
Share this thread:
Sphereic
May4-07, 05:03 PM
P: 5
What's the difference between an architect and civil engineer. WHo has harder work?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
radou
May4-07, 05:06 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Quote Quote by Sphereic View Post
What's the difference between an architect and civil engineer. WHo has harder work?
The "hardness" of the work is relative.

My humble oppinion:

architect - artist
civil engineer - engineer

seanistic
May7-07, 12:21 PM
P: 23
My personal advice is this. I wanted to switch from Aerospace to civil or mechanical because I thought it was just to much work, to much math, and to much physics in my major (ASE). One of the grad students told me this. No matter what, Engineering is Engineering. You will always have to do math, and always have to do physics. True maybe that there are "easier" fields but there are no easy engineering fields. Basically he told me I can either spend 4 years studying cement in CE, 4 years studying hydrolics and heat transfer in ME, or I can spend 4 years studying airfoils and fluid dynamics (which I prefer) in ASE. If you cant enjoy (even at a nerdy level) what your learning/doing in engineering don't do it at all. Pick between civil and architecture through what kinda cool **** they do, not which is easier. Because I promise you, it doesn't matter how easy it is, its going to be a ***** making yourself learn something your not interested in.

I took some info off UT's engineering page for you. If you live in Texas I think you know where to attend once you have decided ;)

What is Civil Engineering

Civil engineering is the segment of the engineering profession that provides for the basic needs of humanity. Civil engineers focus on both the built and natural environments through the planning, design, construction, and operation of building and housing systems, commercial and industrial facilities, transportation systems, and systems for the protection and use of air, water, land, and ecological resources. Civil engineers also provide for the protection of people and our infrastructure from natural disasters. The current curriculum in Civil Engineering is 125 semester credit hours. Undergraduates can choose technical electives from a variety of areas of specialization within civil engineering including construction engineering and project management, environmental engineering, geotechnical engineering, structures, mechanics and materials, transportation, and water resources engineering.

What is Architectural Engineering?

Architectural Engineering deals with all engineering aspects of building performance, integrated with the building’s architectural requirements. Architectural Engineering is an ABET-accredited engineering degree program within UT Austin’s Department of Civil, Architectural and Environmental Engineering, which is consistently ranked in the top five in the nation by U.S. News and World Report. The curriculum includes several architectural design courses intended to impart appreciation and basic understanding of aesthetic design. Students study all engineering aspects of building performance, including sustainable design. In their senior year, students have the opportunity to specialize in one of Architectural Engineering’s four option areas: structural engineering; construction engineering and project management; construction materials; and building environmental systems.

Structural Engineering is the design and analysis of the building for strength, serviceability and cost-effectiveness in resisting vertical forces due to gravity, and lateral forces due to wind or earthquake.

Construction Engineering and Project Management combines the technical education of engineering with the financial, legal, and administrative skills of business management. These include methods and materials for construction, cost estimating, and planning and scheduling of construction.

Construction Materials focuses on the properties and behavior of the principal structural materials – concrete, steel, wood and masonry -- plus the architectural materials used to complete the building.

Building Environmental Systems Engineering involves the design of the environment of the building – thermal comfort, acoustics and noise control, indoor air quality, illumination, and plumbing and electrical systems.

FredGarvin
May7-07, 01:55 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Architect verses Civil Engineer

I have a good friend who is an architect. He has a much better vision of making things look a certain way. He is an artist. For me, that is harder. It all depends on your personality and your strong points. You're asking between apples and oranges.

Register to reply