Civil engineering - dike improvement

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the advantages and disadvantages of reinforcement outside of dikes for civil engineering purposes. The advantages include not needing space behind the dikes and potentially avoiding expensive reinforcement measures, while the disadvantages include a smaller flow profile and reduced protection against wave attack. The original poster was able to find the answers through their lecturer's help.
Waffle24
[Moderator moved this thread from the homework section.]

I'm a civil engineering student, and it's my first year at the University of Applied Sciences, and I'm doing an exercise but can't figure out one of its parts.
The question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of reinforcement outside the dikes?
So far I've found only general information about dyke improvement, and not the specific information about the disadvantages and advantages.
So any information related to this question by any of you will be helpful for me to be able to understand it and answer the question correctly.

On edit: removed unnecessary things.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would seem that anything that tends to stabilize the ground would help to some extent.

Waffle24 said:
The question: what are the advantages and disadvantages of reinforcement outside the dikes?
Can you explain more what is meant by "reinforcement outside the dikes"? If it is what I think it means, I can think of at least one clear advantage...

Likes Deliberately_Troy
Sorry for not replying to the questions. Meanwhile I've managed to find the answers to the question through the help from my lecturer. My apologies for bumping the topic, but I'll share my answers in here in case anyone is interested.

The advantages:
● No space required behind the dikes.
● Present buildings along the dike may remain standing or expensive reinforcement measures may be omitted
(think of sheet piling).

The cons:
● Flow profile / passage profile of the watercourse is becoming smaller.
● Present foreland is becoming narrower, so that wave attack is inhibited less.
● Any upholstery and soil protection must be removed and reapplied.

Likes Tom.G and anorlunda

1. What is the purpose of dike improvement in civil engineering?

The purpose of dike improvement in civil engineering is to strengthen and maintain the integrity of dikes, which are man-made structures designed to protect land from flooding. Dike improvement involves assessing the current condition of dikes and implementing measures to increase their stability and effectiveness in preventing flood damage.

2. What are the common methods used for dike improvement?

The common methods used for dike improvement include adding reinforcement materials such as geotextiles or concrete, constructing new embankments or berms, installing drainage systems, and implementing erosion control measures. The specific method used will depend on the condition of the dike and the potential risks it faces.

3. How often should dike improvement be conducted?

The frequency of dike improvement depends on various factors such as the age and condition of the dike, the type of materials used, and the level of risk in the surrounding area. Generally, dike improvement should be conducted at least every 5-10 years to ensure the dike remains strong and effective in preventing flooding.

4. What are the potential risks if dike improvement is not performed?

If dike improvement is not performed, there is a higher risk of the dike failing during a flood event. This can result in significant damage to surrounding areas and infrastructure, as well as potential loss of life. Additionally, without proper maintenance, dikes can become weaker over time and may not be able to withstand future flood events.

5. How does dike improvement contribute to overall flood management?

Dike improvement is an important aspect of overall flood management as it helps to reduce the risk of flooding in areas where dikes are present. By strengthening and maintaining dikes, the potential for flood damage is decreased, protecting both the environment and human communities. Dike improvement also allows for better planning and preparation for future flood events.