Contact force problem

by EG78362
Tags: contact, force
Share this thread:
EG78362
May10-07, 04:54 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Given: The surface is frictionless, two blocks in contact with each other move to the right across a horizontal surface.
Note: one block is 2.1kg with a 58N force applied to it, and the other block is 5.7kg with a 13N force applied to it.

2. Relevant equations

Determine the magnitude of the force exerted on the block with mass 2.1kg by the block with mass 5.7 kg

3. The attempt at a solution

First I subtracted 58N-13N=45 to get the net force, then I divided the net force by the mass of both blocks [45N/7.8kg]=5.769m/s^2 to get acceleration.
Then I multiplied the acceleration by the 2.1kg block to get 12.115N, but this was not the right answer. So thinking that I maybe did it wrong I multiplied the acceleration by the 5.7kg block (32.884N)and this was also incorrect, finally not knowing what I was doing wrong still, I subtracted 32.884-12.115 and of course this was wrong as well. I can't figure out what I'm missing here. Any help would be appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
cepheid
May10-07, 05:54 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Assumption I'm going to make: 2.1 kg block is on the left, pushed on with force 58 N from the left side, in the right direction. 5.7 kg block is on the right, pushed on with force 13 N from the right side, in the left direction.

Envisioning a FBD for the first block, if it's only moving with the acceleration you calculated to the right, then the net force on it must be 12.115 N (assuming you calculated that right) to the right, which means that there must be a force of magnitude 58 N - 12.115 N on it to the left, counteracting the 58 N force to the right partially. So, is 45.885 N the correct answer?
EG78362
May10-07, 06:14 PM
P: 3
Okay, I was thinking I had to subtract from the net force. Thank you so much, I got it right this time.

cepheid
May10-07, 06:18 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,196
Contact force problem

Quote Quote by EG78362 View Post
Okay, I was thinking I had to subtract from the net force. Thank you so much, I got it right this time.
No problem! Always draw a free body diagram to check your thinking.

Register to reply