How much force does the 20 kg block exert on the 10 kg block?

In summary, the contact force on 10 kg due to 20 kg is taken as Fc2m1 = 30kg, m2 = 20kg, m3 = 10kgF_A = Applied forceμ = 0.15Net force = mass X acceleration Fc2-Friction force = m3 X a, where a = F_A / (m1+m2+ m3). Therefore the equation becomesFc2 = m3 F_A/(m1+m2+m3) + μN
paulimerci
Homework Statement
Assuming that the coefficient of friction between each block and the surface was 0.15, what would be the force of the 20 kg block pushing on the 10 kg block?
Relevant Equations
F= ma
The contact force on 10 kg due to 20 kg is taken as Fc2
m1 = 30kg, m2 = 20kg, m3 = 10kg
F_A = Applied force
μ = 0.15

Net force = mass X acceleration
Fc2-Friction force = m3 X a, where a = F_A / (m1 +m2+ m3). Therefore the equation becomes
Fc2 = m3 F_A/(m1+m2+m3) + μN
= F_A/6 +15

I calculated acceleration taking all the blocks as one system. Does the expression above is correct or do I have to do any corrections?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 11.27.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 11.27.03 AM.png
    6.8 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
paulimerci said:
Fc2-Friction force = m3 X a,
OK, if "friction force" is the friction force between m3 and the surface.

paulimerci said:
where a = F_A / (m1 +m2+ m3).
No. Think about this. Is FA the net horizontal force acting on the system?

TSny said:
OK, if "friction force" is the friction force between m3 and the surface.No. Think about this. Is FA the net horizontal force acting on the system?
The object doesn’t accelerate in the vertical direction, it accelerates only along the horizontal. The net force acting along Y would be the normal force and the force of gravity and they both cancel because they are balanced and the unbalance forces are along X, which is the force of friction and the contact force due to 20kg. Am I right?

You are right for the vertical direction. The net horizontal force on the 3-mass system is the sum of FA and the three friction forces acting on each mass. On the 20 kg mass, it is the sum of the forces from (a) the 30 kg mass, (b) the 10 kg mass and (c) friction from the surface.

kuruman said:
You are right for the vertical direction. The net horizontal force on the 3-mass system is the sum of FA and the three friction forces acting on each mass. On the 20 kg mass, it is the sum of the forces from (a) the 30 kg mass, (b) the 10 kg mass and (c) friction from the surface.
Thanks, Is it F_A -3 Friction force = (m1+m2+m3)a?

paulimerci said:
Is it F_A -3 Friction force = (m1+m2+m3)a?
Can you be more explicit? That is, can you write a mathematical expression for "3 Friction force"?

TSny said:
Can you be more explicit? That is, can you write a mathematical expression for "3 Friction force"?
sure,
Friction force for 30kg = F_A -m1a - Fc1
Friction force for 20kg = Fc1-Fc2-m2a
Friction force for 10kg = Fc2-m3a
adding friction force to the left = adding horizontal forces to the right, I get
Friction force = F_A/3 - (m1+m2+m3)a/3

paulimerci said:
sure,
Friction force for 30kg = F_A -m1a - Fc1
Friction force for 20kg = Fc1-Fc2-m2a
Friction force for 10kg = Fc2-m3a
adding friction force to the left = adding horizontal forces to the right, I get
Friction force = F_A/3 - (m1+m2+m3)a/3
So, substitute Friction force in the very first equation,
Fc2 = m3a + Force friction
= m3 FA/(m1+m2+m3) + F_A/3 - (m1+m2+m3)a/3
= F_A/6 + F_A/3 - F_A/3
= F_A/6
Have I done it right now?

Likes bob012345
paulimerci said:
Have I done it right now?
No, try again. You have not used the coefficient of kinetic friction ##\mu_k=0.15## to find the force of kinetic friction. Why is it F_A/3 - (m1+m2+m3)a/3? Look up "kinetic friction."

Last edited:
kuruman said:
No, try again. You have not used the coefficient of kinetic friction ##\mu_k=0.15## to find the force of kinetic friction. Why is it F_A/3 - (m1+m2+m3)a/3? Look up "kinetic friction."
I have to find answer in terms of F_A.
Is the expression for force of friction is wrong? If I substitute force friction as ##\mu## I'm not getting the answer.

paulimerci said:
I have to find answer in terms of F_A.
Is the expression for force of friction is wrong? If I substitute force friction as ##\mu## I'm not getting the answer.
Yes, your expression is correct. I got confused about which mass is ##m_3##. Sorry about that.

Likes bob012345
kuruman said:
Yes, your expression is correct. I got confused about which mass is ##m_3##. Sorry about that.
Thanks, Then do I really need to substitute for ##mu##?

paulimerci said:
Thanks, Then do I really need to substitute for ##mu##?
If you do, it will drop out eventually because the force of friction is proportional to each mass by the same proportionality constant ##\mu_k##. You would have to put it in if the coefficients of kinetic friction were different for each mass.

Likes paulimerci
kuruman said:
If you do, it will drop out eventually because the force of friction is proportional to each mass by the same proportionality constant ##\mu_k##. You would have to put it in if the coefficients of kinetic friction were different for each mass.
You are correct, thank you!

paulimerci said:
You are correct, thank you!
In post # 1, I wrote acceleration = F_A/(m1+m2+m3), so when I calculate acceleration for the whole system and friction is also involved, the above equation will become acceleration = F_A - force friction/(m1+m2+m3). right?

paulimerci said:
In post # 1, I wrote acceleration = F_A/(m1+m2+m3), so when I calculate acceleration for the whole system and friction is also involved, the above equation will become acceleration = F_A - force friction/(m1+m2+m3). right?
Not right. Let's put Newton's second together. The net force is
##F_{\text{net}}=F_A-f## so $$(m_1+m_2+m_3)a=F_{\text{net}}=F_A-f\implies a=\frac{F_A-f}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}.$$You must divide both forces by the sum of the masses.

Here is how you take friction into account correctly. I assume that the coefficient of friction is different between each mass and the table to make a point. In this case the total force of friction on the 3-mass system is ##f=(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g##. Then $$(m_1+m_2+m_2)a=F_A-(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g$$ from which we find the acceleration $$a=\frac{F_A}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}-\frac{(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}.$$Now Newton's second law for mass ##m_3## is
##m_3a=F_C-\mu_3m_3g \implies F_C=m_3a +\mu_3m_3g.## We now put the expression for the acceleration to get $$F_C=\frac{m_3 F_A}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}-\frac{m_3(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}+\mu_3m_3g.$$Noting that ##m_1=3m_3## and ##m_2=2m_3##, this simplifies to $$F_C=\frac{F_A}{6}-\left(\frac{3\mu_1+2\mu_2+\mu_3}{6}-\mu_3\right)m_3g.$$The point I want to make after all this is that your method works only when the second term in the expression above evaluates to zero. For this to happen, one choice of coefficients is ##\mu_1=\mu_2=\mu_3=\mu.##

kuruman said:
##F_{\text{net}}=F_A-f## so $$(m_1+m_2+m_3)a=F_{\text{net}}=F_A-f\implies a=\frac{F_A-f}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}.$$You must divide both forces by the sum of the masses.

Here is how you take friction into account correctly. I assume that the coefficient of friction is different between each mass and the table to make a point. In this case the total force of friction on the 3-mass system is ##f=(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g##. Then $$(m_1+m_2+m_2)a=F_A-(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g$$ from which we find the acceleration $$a=\frac{F_A}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}-\frac{(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}.$$Now Newton's second law for mass ##m_3## is
##m_3a=F_C-\mu_3m_3g \implies F_C=m_3a +\mu_3m_3g.## We now put the expression for the acceleration to get $$F_C=\frac{m_3 F_A}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}-\frac{m_3(\mu_1m_1+\mu_2m_2+\mu_3m_3)g}{(m_1+m_2+m_3)}+\mu_3m_3g.$$Noting that ##m_1=3m_3## and ##m_2=2m_3##, this simplifies to $$F_C=\frac{F_A}{6}-\left(\frac{3\mu_1+2\mu_2+\mu_3}{6}-\mu_3\right)m_3g.$$The point I want to make after all this is that your method works only when the second term in the expression above evaluates to zero. For this to happen, one choice of coefficients is ##\mu_1=\mu_2=\mu_3=\mu.##
Thanks for the detailed derivation, For the acceleration of the system (#post 8) I didn't include friction force and I'm able to arrive at the correct answer
kuruman said:

Thank you, When friction force with different coefficients are involved the second term in the expression can't become zero.

paulimerci said:
Thanks for the detailed derivation, For the acceleration of the system (#post 8) I didn't include friction force and I'm able to arrive at the correct answer
Right. My point is that if you don't include friction because you didn't have to for this particular problem, you might come to believe that you don't have to include friction for any problem. When the coefficients of friction are different, your method will give an incorrect result because it only works when the coefficients of friction are the same. I am pointing this out to make you aware of this pitfall. It is safer to find the general solution and then adapt it to the particular problem at hand than to generalize from the particular solution. That's all.

Likes paulimerci and Lnewqban

1. What is the formula for calculating force?

The formula for calculating force is F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

2. How do you find the force exerted by one object on another?

To find the force exerted by one object on another, you must first calculate the acceleration of the object being acted upon. Then, use the formula F=ma to calculate the force.

3. What is the unit of force?

The unit of force is Newtons (N).

4. How do you determine the direction of the force?

The direction of the force can be determined by the direction of the acceleration. If the acceleration is in the same direction as the force, then the force is positive. If the acceleration is in the opposite direction, then the force is negative.

5. How much force does the 20 kg block exert on the 10 kg block?

The force exerted by the 20 kg block on the 10 kg block can be calculated by using the formula F=ma, where m is the mass of the 10 kg block and a is the acceleration of the 10 kg block caused by the 20 kg block. The mass of the 10 kg block is 10 kg, and the acceleration can be determined by dividing the force exerted by the 20 kg block by the mass of the 10 kg block. So, the force exerted by the 20 kg block on the 10 kg block is F= (20 kg)(a/10 kg) = 2a N.