Algebraic Substitution: Solving F(r) Using r=r_+(1+\rho^2)

In summary, the conversation discusses a function F(r) and a substitution r=r_+(1+\rho^2). The attempt at a solution involves substituting and simplifying, but the solutions use a Taylor expansion to obtain a different result. The conversation ends with one person thanking the other for pointing out the correct solution.
cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Homework Statement

I have this function [tex]F(r)=\frac{(r-r_+)(r-r_-)}{r^2}[/tex] and I want to make the subsitution [itex]r=r_+(1+\rho^2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I sub in, to obtain [tex]F=\frac{[r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-][r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-]}{r_+^2(1+\rho^2)^2}=\frac{\rho^2[r_+(1+\rho^2)-r_-]}{r_+^2(1+\rho^2)^2}[/tex].

Now, the solutions say that this is equal to [tex]\frac{r_+\rho^2(r_+-r_-)}{r_+^2}\cdot [1+O(\rho^2)] [/tex], however I cannot, for the life of me, see how to get this from my line above! Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a Taylor expansion to me, but I could be wrong...

Hootenanny said:
Looks like a Taylor expansion to me, but I could be wrong...

Yup, you're correct. I never spot things like that. Thanks! :smile:

What is algebraic substitution?

Algebraic substitution is a method used in algebra to simplify and solve equations. It involves replacing a variable in an equation with a known value or expression in order to find the value of the other variables.

How do you perform algebraic substitution?

To perform algebraic substitution, you start by identifying the variable you want to replace and the expression you want to substitute it with. Then, you plug in the expression for the variable in the equation and simplify to find the solution.

When should algebraic substitution be used?

Algebraic substitution is often used when solving systems of equations or simplifying complex equations. It can also be used to find the value of a variable in an equation.

What are the benefits of using algebraic substitution?

Algebraic substitution can make solving equations easier and more efficient. It also allows for the use of known values or expressions to find the value of unknown variables.

Are there any limitations to using algebraic substitution?

Algebraic substitution may not work for all types of equations, especially those that involve irrational or imaginary numbers. It also requires a good understanding of algebraic concepts and may be more time-consuming for complex equations.