Use triple integral to find center of mass

In summary, to find the center of mass of a uniform hemispherical shell of inner radius a and outer radius b, you can use the formula ##r_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} r \,\rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##, where ##D## is the denominator in the formula in the original post. This formula can be used for all three coordinates (##r, \theta, \phi##) to find the center of mass for the entire hemisphere. However, it is important to note
BearY

Homework Statement

Find the centre of mass of a uniform hemispherical shell of inner radius a and outer radius b.

Homework Equations

##r_{CoM} = \sum \frac{m\vec{r}}{m}##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using ##x(r,\theta,\phi)## for coordinates,
$$x_{CoM}=\frac{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \vec{x}\rho r^2\sin{\theta}drd\theta d\phi}{\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \rho r^2\sin{\theta}drd\theta d\phi}$$
My vector calculus is rusty, how do I handle the ##\vec{x}## in this integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
hvIt may help to first note that the LHS of the equation should be ##\vec x_{CoM}##. That is, it is a 3D vector that gives the location of the CoM.
Given that, treat the RHS as three separate integrals, one for each of the cartesian coordinates of the CoM: ##x,y## and ##z##.

##x_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} x(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##y_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} y(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##z_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} z(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
where ##D## is the denominator in the formula in the OP.
Then use the formulas for converting from Cartesian to spherical coords to replace the ##x(r,\theta,\phi)## in the integrand by a function of ##r,\theta,\phi##. THen do the same for the integrals for ##y## and ##z##.

Likes BearY
andrewkirk said:
hvIt may help to first note that the LHS of the equation should be ##\vec x_{CoM}##. That is, it is a 3D vector that gives the location of the CoM.
Given that, treat the RHS as three separate integrals, one for each of the cartesian coordinates of the CoM: ##x,y## and ##z##.

##x_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} x(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##y_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} y(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##z_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} z(r,\theta,\phi) \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
where ##D## is the denominator in the formula in the OP.
Then use the formulas for converting from Cartesian to spherical coords to replace the ##x(r,\theta,\phi)## in the integrand by a function of ##r,\theta,\phi##. THen do the same for the integrals for ##y## and ##z##.
I am confused about what Cartesian coordinates do here. I thought I am just looking for a point in the spherical coordinate?

BearY said:
I am confused about what Cartesian coordinates do here. I thought I am just looking for a point in the spherical coordinate?
Quite right. Sorry, I was distracted by the use of the character 'x' in the vector ##\vec x##.
So we can do it more simply as:

##r_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} r \,\rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##\theta_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \theta\, \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##\phi_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \phi\, \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##

Likes BearY
andrewkirk said:
Quite right. Sorry, I was distracted by the use of the character 'x' in the vector ##\vec x##.

##r_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} r \,\rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##\theta_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \theta\, \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
##\phi_{CoM} = \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{a}^{b} \phi\, \rho r^2\sin{\theta}\,dr\,d\theta\, d\phi\ /\ D##
When I was studying vector calculus we only did parameterizing dimention x, y, and z with t and then integrate w.r.t dt only.
So without parameterization, we still integrate each dimension separately? That makes sense. I suppose I will have to redo vector calculus to know for sure.

andrewkirk said:

I don't think this works because generally ##\langle \cos\theta \rangle \ne \cos\langle \theta \rangle##. Also, for a hemisphere of radius ##R##, the center of mass is on the z-axis at ##z=\frac {3}{16}{R}##, but the integral above with ##a=0## and ##b=R## gives ##r_{CoM} = \frac 38 R##.

Likes BearY
@BearY: If that was a typical homework problem I would expect the student to consider the upper hemisphere at the origin, notice immediately that ##\bar x = \bar y = 0## from symmetry, and calculate$$
\bar z = \frac {\iiint_V z~dV}{\iiint_V 1~dV} =
\frac {\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac \pi 2} \int_a^b \rho\cos\phi \rho^2\sin\phi~d\rho d\phi d\theta}
{\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{\frac \pi 2} \int_a^b 1 \rho^2\sin\phi~d\rho d\phi d\theta}$$
Notice the integral is conveniently worked in spherical coordinates, but you are calculating the center of mass ##(\bar x, \bar y, \bar z)##. And it generally is not true, for example, that ##\bar z = \bar \rho \cos\bar\phi## just because ##z =\rho \cos\phi##. You must set up the rectangular integral then change coordinates.

Likes BearY
BearY said:

Your spherical coordinates ARE relative to a particular Cartesian coordinate system! In your convention---basically, the "physics" rather than "mathematics" convention---##\theta## is the azimuthal angle (between the ##z##-axis and the point ##(x,y,z)##) while ##\phi## is the "longitude" ( the counter-clockwise angle between the ##+x## axis and ##(x,y)##, as viewed from ##z > 0## looking down).

Likes BearY

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional space by dividing it into infinitely small cubes and summing up their volumes. It is expressed as ∫∫∫f(x,y,z)dxdydz in calculus notation, where f(x,y,z) is the function being integrated and dxdydz represents the infinitesimal volume element.

2. How is a triple integral used to find the center of mass?

A triple integral can be used to find the center of mass of a three-dimensional object by considering the mass of each infinitesimal volume element and its distance from the chosen reference point. By dividing the total mass by the total volume, we can determine the coordinates of the center of mass.

3. What are the steps for using a triple integral to find the center of mass?

The steps for using a triple integral to find the center of mass are as follows:

1. Determine the mass density function of the object.
  2. Set up the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) based on the boundaries of the object.
  3. Integrate the mass density function over the three-dimensional space using a triple integral.
  4. Divide the result by the total volume of the object.
  5. The resulting coordinates represent the center of mass of the object.

4. Can a triple integral be used for objects with irregular shapes?

Yes, a triple integral can be used to find the center of mass for objects with irregular shapes. This is because it takes into account the mass and distance of each infinitesimal volume element, making it applicable to any three-dimensional object regardless of its shape.

5. What are some real-world applications of using a triple integral to find the center of mass?

Triple integrals and the concept of center of mass have various real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and physics. For example, they can be used to determine the stability and balance of structures, calculate the distribution of weight in a building, or find the center of gravity of a physical system.