Calculating Center of Mass in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates of an inverted cone with constant density. The user is confused about the results of their calculations and questions the validity of their method. After examining the calculations, it is determined that the mistake lies in calculating the center of mass coordinates in cylindrical instead of Cartesian coordinates. Once corrected, the center of mass is found to be located at (0,0,3/4h).
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Determine the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates of a cone with constant density ##\rho(\vec{r})##. (The cone is inverted, i.e. it's thinnest point is at ##z=0##.)

Homework Equations

##m=\int\int\int_C \rho r \, drdzd\theta##
##\overline{r}=\int\int\int_C r\cdot r\, drdzd\theta##
##r_{CM}=\frac{\overline{r}}{m}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm quite confused about calculating the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates since my results don't make any sense intuitively. Since the integrations are pretty trivial I will just post how I calculated ##m## and then the results of the other integrals. ##m=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}\rho r\, drdzd\theta=\frac{\pi \rho R^2h}{3}##, ##\overline{r}=\frac{\pi R^3h}{6}##, ##\overline{z}=\frac{\pi R^2h^2}{4}##, ##\overline{\theta}=\frac{\pi^2 R^2h}{3}##, ##r_{CM}=\frac{R}{2\rho}##, ##z_{CM}=\frac{3h}{4\rho}##, ##\theta_{CM}=\frac{\pi}{\rho}##, now clearly these three values won't give the position of the center of mass, i.e. ##f_{CM}=(r_{CM}, \theta_{CM}, z_{CM})##. To me it seems like this will just give the center of mass with respect to each axis and therefore it doesn't make sense to have have a point defined by the three center of mass locations for each axis. Also the value for ##\theta_{CM}## does not make any sense, it doesn't even make sense how there can be a ##\theta_{CM}## when the cone has constant density.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't say on which axis the cone is centred. I'll assume it's the z axis, as otherwise the cylindrical coordinates will be inappropriate for the calculations.
Then symmetry considerations dictate that the COM is on the z axis. So your result ##r_{CM}=\frac{R}{2\rho}## looks like it can't be correct. Also, ##\theta_{CM}## will be undefined, because the COM is on the z axis. THe only value that needs to be calculated is ##z_{CM}##.

Can you set out your calculations behind the results you quote?

Likes Potatochip911
andrewkirk said:
You didn't say on which axis the cone is centred. I'll assume it's the z axis, as otherwise the cylindrical coordinates will be inappropriate for the calculations.
Yep it is along the z axis.

andrewkirk said:
Then symmetry considerations dictate that the COM is on the z axis. So your result ##r_{CM}=\frac{R}{2\rho}## looks like it can't be correct.
Yea my interpretation of this result is that it made sense when considering a cross section (Right Triangle) of the various radii.

andrewkirk said:
Also, ##\theta_{CM}## will be undefined, because the COM is on the z axis. THe only value that needs to be calculated is ##z_{CM}##.
\usepackage{amsmath}
I was hoping to find ##r_{CM}=0## despite the fact that it is clear by symmetry this will be the result.

Can you set out your calculations behind the results you quote?
Ok... with ##m=\frac{\pi\rho R^2h}{3}##.
$$\overline{r}=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{h}\int_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}r^2\,drdzd\theta=2\pi\int_{0}^{h}\frac{r^3}{3}\Big |_{0}^{\frac{Rz}{h}}dz=\frac{2\pi R^3}{3h^3}\int_0^{h}z^3\,dz=\frac{2\pi R^3}{3h^3}\frac{h^4}{4}=\frac{\pi R^3h}{6} \\
\overline{z}=\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^h\int_0^{\frac{Rz}{h}}rz\,drdzd\theta=2\pi\int_0^h \frac{R^2z^2}{2h^2}z\,{dz}=\frac{\pi R^2}{h^2}\frac{z^4}{4}\Big |_0^h=\frac{\pi R^2h^2}{4}\\
\overline{\theta}=\int_0^h\int_0^{\frac{Rz}{h}}\int_0^{2\pi}r\theta\,d\theta drdz=2\pi^2\int_0^h\int_0^\frac{Rz}{h}r\,drdz=\pi^2\int_0^h\frac{R^2z^2}{h^2}dz=\frac{\pi^2 R^2}{h^2}\frac{z^3}{3}\Big|_0^h\\ \overline{\theta}=\frac{\pi^2R^2h}{3}
$$
Now to calculate the COMs:

$$r_{CM}=\frac{\overline{r}}{m}=\frac{R}{2\rho}\\
z_{CM}=\frac{\overline{z}}{m}=\frac{3h}{4\rho} \\
\theta_{CM}=\frac{\overline{\theta}}{m}=\frac{\pi}{\rho}
$$

Edit: It appears as though my mistake is calculating things such as ##r_{CM}## and ##\theta_{CM}##, to obtain the proper results all the integrals should start in cartesian and then be transformed into cylindrical which will give our answer in cartesian. By inspection this makes both the ##\overline{x}## and ##\overline{y}## integrals 0 since they will have a ##\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta## term respectively and this will be integrated from 0 to 2##\pi##. The ##\overline{z}## integral remains the same and thus the COM becomes ##(0,0,\frac{3}{4}h)##

Last edited:

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to describe points in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle in the xy-plane, and a height or z-coordinate.

2. How is the center of mass calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

The center of mass in cylindrical coordinates is calculated using the formula: x̄ = (1/M) ∫∫∫ xρ dV, where x is the coordinate in the direction of the axis of symmetry, ρ is the mass density, and dV is the volume element. This formula can also be used to calculate the center of mass in other coordinate systems.

3. What is the difference between center of mass and center of gravity?

The center of mass is the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions, while the center of gravity is the point at which the force of gravity acts on an object. In most cases, these two points are the same, but they can differ in cases where there are external forces acting on an object.

4. Why is it important to calculate the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates?

Calculating the center of mass in cylindrical coordinates is important in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It allows us to understand the distribution of mass in an object or system, which can help in predicting its motion and stability.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

No, the center of mass is always located within the boundaries of the object. This is because it is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in the object. If the object is hollow, the center of mass may be located outside of the physical material, but it will still be located within the boundaries of the object.