About Parabolic Telescope Mirrors

In summary, when building a telescope, it is important to carefully consider the material of the mirror. While aluminum may seem like a cost-effective option, it has a high coefficient of thermal expansion which can cause distortions in the mirror's surface. This is why most mirrors are made of Pyrex, which has a low coefficient of thermal expansion. Additionally, using fans or thermal junctions can help the mirror equalize with outside temperatures more quickly. Metallic mirrors also have their own challenges, such as permanent thermal distortion, and are typically only used in specialized applications.
Saladsamurai
I have been looking through websites with the intent to build a telescope. I have been looking at mirrors today and there are many to choose from including prefabricated ones which I will use for my first scope.

But my question is with regards to the the other non prefabricated glass...

Is it necessary to use glass that needs to be polished down? Why not curve some other material like aluminum and then coat it with some reflective plating?

It seems time and cost effective to do it the latter way, but I am sure there is some reason why it is not used:confused:

Someone please enlighten me,
Casey

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Metal has a very large coefficient of thermal expansion as compared to glass. If your mirror expands or contracts with temperature, its surface changes shape. This is, of course, undesirable for a precision mirror designed to focus light.

Most mirrors are made of Pyrex (borosilicate glass), specifically because it has such a low coefficient of thermal expansion.

- Warren

Last edited:
Ahhh...what an terribly obvious yet elusive point. Thank you Chroot.

What about using a fan or thermal junction of sorts...does the amount of heat that needs to be removed make that impractical?

Last edited:
Yes, if you want to be able to use the telescope in a wide range of conditions.

What you want is for your mirror to equalize with the temperature of the outside air, and to equalize throughout its volume, as rapidly as possible. Fans are actually essential for large mirrors that would otherwise take hours to equalize.

- Warren

I see, like the shaving mirror in my shower:tongue2:

Metallic mirrors are permanently affected by thermal distortion. That's the long and the short of it.

Metal mirros are more difficult to polish using traditional grinding techniques becasue they deform elastically ie. they spring back when you stop pushing on them.
They are used in a few applications where you need lightweight such as actively controlled mirrors or extremely steeply curved or convex surfaces. Usually you use Berylium ( expensive and difficult to work ) and diamond turn the mirror (expensive )

1. What is a parabolic telescope mirror?

A parabolic telescope mirror is a type of curved mirror that is used in telescopes to gather and focus light, producing a magnified image of distant objects. It is shaped like a parabola, which allows it to reflect parallel incoming light rays to a single point, known as the focal point.

2. How does a parabolic telescope mirror work?

A parabolic telescope mirror works by reflecting light from its surface to a single focal point. As the light rays strike the mirror, they are reflected in a converging pattern, ultimately meeting at the focal point. This allows for a magnified and focused image of the object being observed.

3. What are the advantages of using a parabolic telescope mirror?

The main advantage of using a parabolic telescope mirror is its ability to gather and focus light, producing a clear and magnified image. This makes it ideal for observing distant objects in space. Parabolic mirrors also have a simpler design and are easier to manufacture compared to other types of telescope mirrors.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a parabolic telescope mirror?

One potential disadvantage of using a parabolic telescope mirror is its size and weight. As the mirror needs to be large enough to gather enough light, it can make the telescope heavier and bulkier. Additionally, if the mirror is not perfectly shaped, it can cause distortions in the image.

5. How do you maintain and clean a parabolic telescope mirror?

Cleaning and maintaining a parabolic telescope mirror is important for ensuring clear and accurate observations. To clean the mirror, use a soft, lint-free cloth and a mild solution of water and isopropyl alcohol. Gently wipe the mirror in a circular motion, being careful not to scratch the surface. It is also important to regularly check the alignment and shape of the mirror to ensure proper functioning.