Quick question about telescope classification

In summary, an astronomical telescope is any telescope used for astronomy, regardless of its optical design. While most major astronomical scopes are reflectors, there are two exceptions - the Yerkes Observatory and the Lick Observatory - which use refracting telescopes. In general, terrestrial telescopes are refractors and have an additional lens to invert the image for upright viewing, while astronomical refractors may or may not have this feature.
21joanna12
I am slightly confused about what the term 'astronomical telescope' covers. My textbook seems to be implying that astronomical telescopes are refracting telescopes with an objective and eyepiece lens, and reflecting telescopes are separate to astronomical telescopes. On the other hand I have read some sources that seem to say that both reflecting and refracting telescopes can be astronomical telescopes because they are used to view planets/stars/moons and the opposite is a terrestrial telescope used for observing things on Earth. Could someone clear up this discrepancy?

Thank you in advance! :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
"Astronomical telescope" usually means any telescope that is used (or designed to be used) for astronomy, regardless of optical design.

As I recall from my youth, when I built an 6" and an 8", astronomical telescopes are not intended to erect the image but require a separate accessory lens to do so.

21joanna12 said:
I am slightly confused about what the term 'astronomical telescope' covers. My textbook seems to be implying that astronomical telescopes are refracting telescopes with an objective and eyepiece lens, and reflecting telescopes are separate to astronomical telescopes

no that is totally incorrect
astronomical telescopes are either, infact all of the major astronomical scopes are reflectors ... even the Hubble Space Telescope

There are 2 exceptions, the Yerkes Observatory in WI, USA is a 40 inch refractor and the largest in the world ... was built in the 1890's
And the Lick Observatory on Mt Hamilton, CA, USA, which sports a 36" refractor, also built in the last 1880's

For amateur astronomy, I have owned both types, currently own 8" and 9.25" reflectors
21joanna12 said:
and the opposite is a terrestrial telescope used for observing things on Earth. Could someone clear up this discrepancy?

terrestrial telescopes ( including binoculars) are all refractors ... completely the opposite to your opening statement

The only difference between a terrestrial refractor and an astronomical refractor is that the terrestrial one has an extra lens built into it to invert the image so that it is upright for viewing. Some astronomical refractors may come with or have an accessory lens that can invert the image for terrestrial usecheers
Dave

Last edited:

1. What are the main types of telescopes?

There are three main types of telescopes: refracting, reflecting, and catadioptric. Refracting telescopes use lenses to collect and focus light, reflecting telescopes use mirrors, and catadioptric telescopes use a combination of lenses and mirrors.

2. How do telescopes differ in terms of light gathering power?

Telescopes with larger apertures (diameter of the objective lens or mirror) have greater light gathering power, allowing them to capture more light and produce brighter and more detailed images. However, factors such as the quality of the optics and the atmospheric conditions also play a role in light gathering power.

3. What is the difference between a refracting and reflecting telescope?

A refracting telescope uses lenses to bend and focus light, while a reflecting telescope uses mirrors to reflect and focus light. Refracting telescopes have a long, narrow shape, while reflecting telescopes have a shorter, wider shape. Reflecting telescopes typically have a larger aperture and are more commonly used by professional astronomers.

4. What is the significance of telescope magnification?

Telescope magnification refers to the degree to which an object appears larger through the telescope than it does with the naked eye. However, magnification alone does not determine the quality of the image. A telescope's magnifying power depends on both its focal length and the eyepiece being used. Additionally, atmospheric conditions and the quality of the optics can affect the perceived magnification of an object.

5. Can telescopes be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, some telescopes are designed for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. These telescopes often have a wider field of view and a shorter focal length compared to telescopes designed solely for astronomical viewing. However, telescopes designed specifically for astronomical viewing typically have a larger aperture and are better suited for capturing faint and distant objects in the night sky.