Shankar Exercise 2.5.1 - Hamiltonion

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with exercise 2.5.1 in Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics. They also ask if the forum supports TeX or LaTeX. The problem they are working on involves showing that if T is the kinetic energy and p_i is the canonical momentum conjugate, then the sum of p_i and q_i' is equal to 2T. The person also mentions that they have not made much progress and are looking for hints or guidance. They also ask if anyone has a copy of Shankar's book as they believe it would be helpful for context in solving the exercises. Another participant in the conversation suggests that the result may be obvious, given the equation provided.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

Could someone get me started with Exercise 2.5.1 in Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics?
Does this forum support TeX or LaTeX?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Post the text of the problem for those of us who don't have the book, but might be willing to help you.

Ad 2: Yes, use the [ tex] tag (without the space):
[tex] \left[-\frac{\hbar^2}{2 m} \nabla^2 + U(\mathbf{r}) \right] \psi (\mathbf{r}) = E \psi (\mathbf{r}). [/tex]

Show that if [tex] T = \sum_i\sum_jT_ij(q)q_i' q_j' [/tex], where [tex]q_i'[/tex]'s are generalized velocities, then [tex]\sum p_i q_i' = 2T [/tex].

And was does the rest stand for?

Work done so far? etc.

T is kinetic energy and pi is the canonical momentum conjugate. Also, the apostrophes are derivatives. Sorry.

There is not much work done so far. I wanted someone to give me a hint or just get me started.

By the way, does anyone have Shankar's book? For a lot of his exercises you really need the context, so I want to know if I should keep posting questions from his book.

ehrenfest said:
Show that if [tex] T = \sum_i\sum_jT_ij(q)q_i' q_j' [/tex], where [tex]q_i'[/tex]'s are generalized velocities, then [tex]\sum p_i q_i' = 2T [/tex].

Since [itex] p_{i}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial q^{i}} [/itex], i gues the result is pretty obvious, don't you think ?

1. What is the Hamiltonian in physics?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical function in classical mechanics that contains information about the total energy of a system. It is used to describe the dynamics of a physical system and is often used in equations of motion.

2. How is the Hamiltonian related to energy?

The Hamiltonian is directly related to the total energy of a system. In classical mechanics, the Hamiltonian is equal to the sum of the kinetic and potential energies of a system. In quantum mechanics, it represents the total energy of a quantum system.

3. What is the purpose of Shankar Exercise 2.5.1?

Shankar Exercise 2.5.1 is a problem set designed to help students understand the concept of the Hamiltonian and its applications in classical and quantum mechanics. It allows students to practice solving problems related to the Hamiltonian and solidify their understanding of the topic.

4. How is the Hamiltonian used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Hamiltonian is used to describe the energy states and dynamics of a quantum system. It is a fundamental concept in the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. The Hamiltonian operator is also used to calculate the energy of a quantum system and determine the probabilities of different energy states.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Hamiltonian?

The Hamiltonian is used in a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to study the dynamics of physical systems such as celestial bodies, molecules, and particles. It is also used in technology, such as in the design of electronic circuits and control systems. Additionally, the Hamiltonian has applications in fields such as finance, where it is used to model the behavior of financial markets.