Register to reply

Fluid Mechanics help

by GoldPheonix
Tags: fluid, mechanics
Share this thread:
GoldPheonix
Jul15-07, 08:32 PM
P: 86
Hey, I'm working on programming a Newtonian mechanics engine (not as part of coursework, btw, for a game that I'm making).

I have some problems, however, as to how to approach fluid mechanics. I know a little bit: buoyant forces, specific gravity, and such. However, I just do not get the more complex (and hence what I need to program) equations and math for viscosity, Newtonian fluids, and such.

Could someone help me understand the basic nature of the following? (I have up to a calculus II knowledge and I know pretty much all of basic, general physics)

1. Sheer stress
2. Fluid viscosity constant --why is it in Pa*s?
3. Can someone give me a good idea of what a gradient is? I understand that mathematically it's a needed idea, and I get the concept of the partial derivative decently well (Though a little help there would be nice, too).
4. What does Newton's partial differential equation for Newtonian fluids mean in words? What does tao signify? (tao = eta*partial derivative(u) of y)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
siddharth
Jul15-07, 08:36 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,197
This is usually taught as a separate semester long course, so I think it'd be hard to give a sufficiently deep and broad reply to your questions in a single thread.

If you're learning it for the first time, you'd be much better off reading a book on fluid mechanics from your library. I'd suggest the book on fluid mechanics by Frank M White
GoldPheonix
Jul15-07, 08:47 PM
Not asking for in-depth stuff, just the very basics of the things asked.

siddharth
Jul15-07, 09:47 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,197
Fluid Mechanics help

You might find the HyperPhysics webpage on fluid mechanics useful. Still, I strongly suggest that you'd read a fluid mech book, especially for the basics.
FredGarvin
Jul16-07, 06:39 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,095
Here you go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
GoldPheonix
Jul16-07, 08:30 AM
I saw their entry on it, but I still don't get all the variables, what they mean, et cetera.

Wiki has the content, just not the explanation for the content.

And thanks for the diagram, siddharth, it looks like their explanation will help me a bit.

Register to reply