How are the equations of continuity derived in 1D?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation of continuity for mass and entropy in fluid mechanics, as well as the transformation between Lagrange and Euler descriptions of fluid motion. The equation of continuity is derived from Euler's equation and the assumption of mass conservation in a fluid element. The adiabatic nature of ideal fluid motion is also discussed, where the entropy of each fluid element is conserved.
aliens123
In Landau-Lifshitz Volume 6 Fluid-Mechanics the following problem is given
landau1.PNG
Where the equation of continuity is given earlier:
Landau2.PNG
As is Euler's equation:
landau3.PNG
And the equation of continuity for entropy:
landau4.PNG
I don't understand how this conclusion was reached. I can understand the derivation for the equation of continuity , but I have no idea how you could derive it from Euler's equation:
$$ \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nablda \cdot ( \rho} \vec{v} )=0 $$
In 1d:
$$ \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial }{\partial a} ( \rho} v )=0 $$
I tried integrating this with
$$\int_{t_0}^{t} dt$$: $$\rho - \rho_0 + \frac{\partial }{\partial a} \int_{t_0}^{t} \rho \frac{\partial x}{\partial t}dt = 0$$
But I can't see any way to simplify this...

I also do not see how the next two equations were derived. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is simply the transformation between Lagrange and Euler descriptions of the fluid.

In the Lagrange description you use some standard configuration of a continuum mechanical system. For fluids you can choose the configuration at the initial time ##t##. Then one defines ##\vec{x}(t,\vec{y})## as the position of the fluid element at time ##t##, which has been located at ##\vec{y}## at time ##t=0##. We assume that the map ##\vec{y} \mapsto \vec{x}(t,\vec{y})## is smooth and invertible (a diffeomorphism).

Then the velocity of the fluid element is simply given by
$$\vec{v}_L(t,\vec{y})=\partial_t \vec{x}(t,\vec{y}).$$
That's the Lagrangian description of the fluid motion (and that's why I put an ##L## at the velocity).

The more familiar Eulerian description is found when thinking in terms of an observer looking at the fluid at position ##\vec{x}## and just describes the properties of the fluid element at time ##t## which is just at this position. Then you get the usual velocity field of fluid dynamics
$$\vec{v}(t,\vec{x})=\vec{v}_L[t,\vec{y}(t,\vec{x})],$$
where now we simply write ##\vec{y}(t,\vec{x})## for the inverse function of ##\vec{x}(t,\vec{y})##, i.e., ##\vec{y}(t,\vec{x})## gives the initial ##\vec{y}## of the fluid element which is at ##\vec{x}## at time ##t##.

From this you get the acceleration of a given fluid element as follows: In Lagrangian description it's simply
$$\vec{a}_L(t,\vec{y})=\partial_t \vec{v}_L(t,\vec{y}),$$
but now we want to express this in the Eulerian description. To that end we note that
$$\vec{v}_L(t,\vec{y})=\vec{v}[t,\vec{x}(t,\vec{y})].$$
And then we get
$$\vec{a}_L(t,\vec{y})=\vec{a}(t,\vec{x})=\partial_t \vec{v}[t,\vec{x}(t,\vec{y})]=\partial t \vec{v}(t,\vec{x}) + [\partial_t \vec{x}(t,\vec{y}) \cdot \vec{\nabla} \vec{v}(t,\vec{x}) = \partial_t \vec{v}(t,\vec{x}) + (\vec{v} \cdot\vec{\nabla}) \vec{v}(t,\vec{x}).$$
This you can generalized to the "substantial time derivative" of any quantity, and define
$$\mathrm{D}_t f(t,\vec{x})=\partial_t f(t,\vec{x}) + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) f(t,\vec{x}).$$
Now again consider a fixed fluid element at the initial position ##\vec{y}##. Then the mass density in Lagrangian description is given by ##\rho_L(t,\vec{y})##.

Now for these given fluid particles the mass is conserved, i.e.,
$$\mathrm{d} m = \mathrm{d}^3 x \rho_L=\text{const}. \; \Rightarrow \; \partial_t \mathrm{d} m=0.$$
The partial time derivative has to be taken with ##\vec{y}## fixed.

In terms of the Eulerian density we have
$$\mathrm{d} m=\mathrm{d}^3 x \rho=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{y} \mathrm{det} \frac{\partial \vec{x}}{\partial \vec{y}} \rho=\mathrm{d}^3 \vec{y} J(t,\vec{y}) \rho_L(t,\vec{y}).$$
Here ##J## is the Jacobian of the diffeomorphism ##\vec{y} \mapsto \vec{x}(t,\vec{y})##. The time derivative is given by
$$\partial_t J=(\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v}) J.$$
From this you get
$$\partial_t \mathrm{d}m =\mathrm{d}^3 y J (\partial_t \rho_L(t,\vec{y}) + \rho_L \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v}_L)=0.$$
Now we can rewrite this again in terms of the Eulerian description, using ##\partial_t \rho_L=\mathrm{D}_t \rho##:
$$\mathrm{D}_t \rho + \rho \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v}=0$$
or writing the material time derivative out
$$\partial_t \rho + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) \rho + \rho \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{v} = \partial_t \rho +\vec{\nabla} \cdot (\rho \vec{v})=0.$$
This is the equation of continuity for the mass,
$$\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j},$$
where ##\vec{j}=\rho \vec{v}## is the mass-current density.

That the ideal fluid motion is adiabatic characterizes the ideal fluid which by definition does not dissipate energy into heat, i.e., the entropy per unit mass ##s## is constant for the corresponding fluid element, which means
$$\partial_t s_L(t,\vec{y})=\mathrm{D}_t s(t,\vec{x})=\partial_t s + (\vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla})s=0.$$
This only means that the entropy of each fluid element is conserved, indeed we have
$$\partial_t (\rho s) + \vec{\nabla} \cdot (\vec{j} s)=(\partial_t \rho + \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{j}) + \rho \partial_t s +(\vec{j} \cdot \vec{\nabla}) s=\rho (\partial_t s + \vec{v} \cdot \vec{\nabla} s)=0.$$

Likes aliens123 and Adesh

What is a one dimensional ideal fluid?

A one dimensional ideal fluid is a theoretical model used to study the behavior of fluids in one dimension, where the fluid is assumed to have no viscosity, no external forces acting on it, and is incompressible. It is a simplified model that allows for easier analysis and understanding of fluid dynamics.

What are the key assumptions of a one dimensional ideal fluid?

The key assumptions of a one dimensional ideal fluid are that it has no viscosity, no external forces acting on it, and is incompressible. These assumptions allow for simpler calculations and analysis of fluid behavior, but may not accurately represent real-world fluids.

How is the motion of a one dimensional ideal fluid described?

The motion of a one dimensional ideal fluid is described using the continuity equation and the Euler equation. The continuity equation states that the mass flow rate is constant along the length of the fluid, while the Euler equation describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and density of the fluid.

What is the difference between a one dimensional ideal fluid and a real fluid?

The main difference between a one dimensional ideal fluid and a real fluid is that real fluids have viscosity, external forces acting on them, and can be compressible. These factors make the analysis and understanding of real fluids more complex, but are necessary for accurately representing real-world fluid behavior.

What are some practical applications of studying one dimensional ideal fluids?

Studying one dimensional ideal fluids can help scientists and engineers understand the basic principles of fluid dynamics, which can then be applied to more complex real-world systems. It can also be used to design and optimize fluid systems, such as pipelines and hydraulic systems, to improve their efficiency and performance.