I want to understand this equation - Fluid Mechanics

In summary, the conversation revolved around understanding equations related to the coefficient of compressibility in Fluid Mechanics. The person was asking for help in understanding the relationship between the two equations and what other knowledge they would need to understand them. It was suggested that they learn about approximating derivatives using finite differences.
Alexanddros81
Hi all!
I have started reading Fluid Mechanics at my own pace (no university study)
and really I would like to grasp the ideas behind it.

So I have Fluid Mechanics by Cengel - 4th edition.
At page 45 the coefficient of compressibility or bulk modulus of elasticity (κ) is introduced.

##κ = V(\frac {\partial P} {\partial V})_T = ρ(\frac {\partial P} {\partial ρ})_T## (Pa) (2-12)

It can also be expressed approximately in terms of finite changes as

##κ = - \frac {ΔP} {ΔV/V} = \frac {ΔP} {Δρ/ρ}## (T = constant) (2-13)

I want to understand equation (2-12) and how it gets equation (2-13).
Obviously I would need to revise partial derivatives.
What else would I need to Know in order to understand these equations?
Your insight would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eqns. 13 is the finite difference approximation to Eqn. 2-12. Do you know how to approximate derivatives of a function using finite differences?

Chestermiller said:
Eqns. 13 is the finite difference approximation to Eqn. 2-12. Do you know how to approximate derivatives of a function using finite differences?

I don't know. What should I be looking at?

Alexanddros81 said:
I don't know. What should I be looking at?
What is the definition of the derivative of f(x) with respect to x?

What is fluid mechanics?

Fluid mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under various conditions, such as flow, pressure, and temperature.

What is an equation in fluid mechanics?

An equation in fluid mechanics is a mathematical representation of the relationship between different physical quantities, such as velocity, pressure, and density, in a fluid system. These equations are used to describe and predict the behavior of fluids in various situations.

Why is understanding equations in fluid mechanics important?

Understanding equations in fluid mechanics is important because it allows us to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in real-world situations. This knowledge is crucial in many fields, such as engineering, meteorology, and oceanography.

What are some common equations used in fluid mechanics?

Some common equations used in fluid mechanics include Bernoulli's equation, Navier-Stokes equations, and the continuity equation. These equations are used to describe the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy in fluid systems.

How can I improve my understanding of equations in fluid mechanics?

To improve your understanding of equations in fluid mechanics, it is important to have a strong grasp of basic physics and mathematics. You can also practice solving problems and working with different types of fluid systems to gain practical experience. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced professionals or studying textbooks and online resources can also be helpful.