Equivalent capacitance in series/parallel

In summary, the question asks for the equivalent capacitance of a circuit with four capacitors, where C1 is 11 µF and C2 is 3 µF. The equations for parallel and series capacitors are given and the attempt at solving the problem is shown. The correct solution is found to be 1.5147 µF. The question is then asked for someone to help solve the problem.
exi

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent capacitance for the following schematic?

Note that C1 is 11 µF, and C2 is 3 µF.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8051/questionzi5.png

Homework Equations

[tex]C_{parallel} = C_1 + C_2 + C_3 + ... + C_n[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{C_{series}} = \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3} + ... + \frac{1}{C_n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following:

1: Considered the four right-hand caps to be in parallel and add them as above, yielding 47 µF, and:

2: Added that 47 µF cap in series with the remaining 5 µF and 3 µF caps like so:

[tex]C_{eq} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{47} + \frac{1}{3}} = 1.8051 \mu F[/tex]

But no go (and appropriately so, since the number seems a bit small). Where am I making a mistake?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
exi said:

Homework Statement

What is the equivalent capacitance for the following schematic?

Note that C1 is 11 µF, and C2 is 3 µF.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8051/questionzi5.png

Homework Equations

[tex]C_{parallel} = C_1 + C_2 + C_3 + ... + C_n[/tex]

[tex]C_{series} = \frac{1}{C_1} + \frac{1}{C_2} + \frac{1}{C_3} + ... + \frac{1}{C_n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the following:

1: Considered the four right-hand caps to be in parallel and add them as above, yielding 47 µF, and:

2: Added that 47 µF cap in series with the remaining 5 µF and 3 µF caps like so:

[tex]C_{eq} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{47} + \frac{1}{3}} = 1.8051 \mu F[/tex]

But no go (and appropriately so, since the number seems a bit small). Where am I making a mistake?
The right-most three capacitors are in series. Find the equivalent capacitance of those three. That capacitance is then in parallel with the 4.0 uf capacitor. Find the equivalent capacitance for the parallel part. That is in series with the other two.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Mason said:
The right-most three capacitors are in series. Find the equivalent capacitance of those three. That capacitance is then in parallel with the 4.0 uf capacitor. Find the equivalent capacitance for the parallel part. That is in series with the other two.

AM

That makes a hell of a lot of sense.

I've got one remaining shot at this problem, so I would much appreciate it if someone could double-check me on this conceptually (oddly, the number still seems low at first glance, but I'm completely new to caps):

[tex]C_{rt series} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{24} + \frac{1}{11} + \frac{1}{8}} = 3.8824 \mu F[/tex]

[tex]C_{rt parallel} = 3.8824 + 4 = 7.8824 \mu F[/tex]

[tex]C_{eq} = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{5} + \frac{1}{7.8824} + \frac{1}{3}} = 1.5147 \mu F[/tex]

Last edited:
looks good to me

Thanks for the look-over; 1.5147 is the answer.

Surprised to see it so low, but it's the answer.

somebody help me solve this question please
find eq capacitance when each capacitoras capaccitance C

h
Untitled.png

hi please anser this
this is not good see next post

Attachments

• capcitence.jpg
    capcitence.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 977
please answer this

regards

Attachments

• capcitence.jpg
    capcitence.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,104

What is equivalent capacitance in series?

Equivalent capacitance in series refers to the total capacitance of a series combination of capacitors. In a series circuit, the capacitors are connected end to end, with the positive terminal of one capacitor connected to the negative terminal of the next capacitor. The equivalent capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance.

What is equivalent capacitance in parallel?

Equivalent capacitance in parallel refers to the total capacitance of a parallel combination of capacitors. In a parallel circuit, the capacitors are connected side by side, with the positive terminals connected together and the negative terminals connected together. The equivalent capacitance is equal to the sum of the individual capacitances.

How do I calculate equivalent capacitance in series?

To calculate equivalent capacitance in series, you can use the formula 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3... where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances. Simply add the reciprocals of each individual capacitance and then take the reciprocal of the sum to find the equivalent capacitance.

How do I calculate equivalent capacitance in parallel?

To calculate equivalent capacitance in parallel, you can simply add the individual capacitances together. The formula for parallel capacitance is Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3... where Ceq is the equivalent capacitance and C1, C2, C3, etc. are the individual capacitances. This is because in a parallel circuit, the voltage across each capacitor is the same, so the total capacitance is just the sum of the individual capacitances.

What is the purpose of calculating equivalent capacitance?

Calculating equivalent capacitance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and make calculations easier. By finding the equivalent capacitance, we can treat the entire circuit as one capacitor, which makes it easier to determine the overall behavior of the circuit. It also allows us to determine the total energy stored in the circuit, which is important for understanding the performance of electronic devices.