Are humans the only species that has the troublesome prostate-urethra relation?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relation
In summary: The FDA also approved the drugs terazosin (Hytrin) in 1993, doxazosin (Cardura) in 1995, tamsulosin (Flomax) in 1997, and alfuzosin (Uroxatral) in 2003 for the treatment of BPH. These drugs are all used to treat BPH, which is a condition that is caused by an enlarged prostate. The prostate gland surrounds the urethra, and when it enlarges, it can press against the urethra and interfere with urination. These drugs work by reducing the size of the prostate, which helps to restore the normal flow of urine and reduces the number of symptoms that are associated with BPH.
moe darklight
just wondering. and if the answer is yes, any ideas as to how this came to be, in terms of evolution?

Biology news on Phys.org
I believe the answer is yes.

Animals that are meat eaters, don't have seminal vesicles{example Lion}.Animals that have both prostates and seminal vesicles are herbivores{example Apes}.
I have never heard of Apes haveing this type of cancer. There is some talk about our diet playing large roll in prostate cancer.

Is one referring to Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia or Prostate enlargement.

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement/

Though the prostate continues to grow during most of a man's life, the enlargement doesn't usually cause problems until late in life. BPH rarely causes symptoms before age 40, but more than half of men in their sixties and as many as 90 percent in their seventies and eighties have some symptoms of BPH.

As the prostate enlarges, the layer of tissue surrounding it stops it from expanding, causing the gland to press against the urethra like a clamp on a garden hose. The bladder wall becomes thicker and irritable. The bladder begins to contract even when it contains small amounts of urine, causing more frequent urination. Eventually, the bladder weakens and loses the ability to empty itself, so some of the urine remains in the bladder. The narrowing of the urethra and partial emptying of the bladder cause many of the problems associated with BPH.

Likely diet and life-style (e.g. sedentary vs active) have an effect, but I don't know of any study that has looked into that.

The FDA also approved the drugs terazosin (Hytrin) in 1993, doxazosin (Cardura) in 1995, tamsulosin (Flomax) in 1997, and alfuzosin (Uroxatral) in 2003 for the treatment of BPH.

Yea, I meant it in that sense, not cancer. Are humans the only animal that has the urethra passing right through where the prostate is? Or is this the same for all animals that have prostates and urethras?

-

hypatia said:

Animals that are meat eaters, don't have seminal vesicles{example Lion}.Animals that have both prostates and seminal vesicles are herbivores{example Apes}.

cool, I didn't know that, I figured all animals did.

hypatia said:

I have never heard of Apes haveing this type of cancer. There is some talk about our diet playing large roll in prostate cancer.

What?! Sorry, but that's untrue. Diet has nothing to do with presence or absence of seminal vesicles. Carnivores don't have seminal vesicles (cats and dogs) but neither do marsupials, many of which are herbivores (i.e., Koala). Humans are not herbivores, but omnivores. But, none of that has to do with having a prostate.

ALL mammals have a prostate gland. In humans, the prostate gland surrounds the urethra, while in other species it varies in shape, size and position, so enlargement of the prostate is less likely to constrict the urethra and interfere with urination, which is one of the early signs of an enlarged prostate in men.

While a bad diet may be a risk factor for prostate cancer, this alone is insufficient to explain the incidence in humans.

I don't think anyone has really even studied whether other species get prostate cancer. In the wild, if it were to occur early, it would be just another way an animal dies. For the most part, it's a disease of aging, which means one of the reasons we see it so commonly in aging men is that we've done such a good job at extending their lifespan by avoiding other earlier causes of death. For this reason, there is also no evolutionary pressure on this at all, because it occurs most frequently in men who are long past their reproductive years. In most animals, something else will get them long before they experience those sorts of diseases of aging.

thanks again :smile:

What is the prostate-urethra relation?

The prostate-urethra relation refers to the anatomical and functional connection between the prostate gland and the urethra, which is the tube that carries urine and semen out of the body. The prostate gland is located just below the bladder and surrounds the urethra.

Why is the prostate-urethra relation troublesome?

The prostate-urethra relation can be troublesome because it can lead to common health issues such as prostatitis, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and prostate cancer. These conditions can cause discomfort, difficulty with urination, and other symptoms that can significantly impact a person's quality of life.

Are humans the only species that have the prostate-urethra relation?

No, humans are not the only species that have a prostate-urethra relation. Many other mammals, including dogs, cats, and horses, also have a prostate gland and urethra. However, the anatomy and function of the prostate gland can vary among different species.

What is the role of the prostate gland in the prostate-urethra relation?

The prostate gland produces a fluid that mixes with sperm and other fluids to form semen. This fluid helps to nourish and protect sperm, and it also plays a role in semen ejaculatory function. In addition, the prostate gland also helps to regulate urine flow by compressing the urethra during ejaculation.

Can the prostate-urethra relation be affected by lifestyle choices?

Yes, lifestyle choices such as diet, exercise, and smoking can impact the health of the prostate gland and the prostate-urethra relation. A diet high in red meat and dairy and low in fruits and vegetables may increase the risk of prostate issues. Regular exercise can help maintain a healthy prostate, while smoking has been linked to an increased risk of prostate cancer.