Fossils of Closely Related Species

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fossils
In summary: This article discusses human fossils from the Heidelberg Cave in Germany and their relation to other human fossils.In summary, the Heidelberg Cave contains the remains of early Homo sapiens, who lived between about 200,000 and 100,000 years ago. These remains are similar to those of modern humans, but they also show evidence of archaic features that are no longer seen in modern humans. The article discusses the evidence for these features and how it is used to identify Homo heidelbergensis as a separate species from modern humans.
Drakkith
Mentor
Hey all. I've got a question regarding fossils. Each individual person is unique, and the variation between any two people can be significant. How large are the differences between individual humans compared to the differences between closely related species in our fossil record? How do biologists tell the difference between two closely related species and two members of the same species when looking at fossilized remains?

Biology news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
How do biologists tell the difference between two closely related species and two members of the same species when looking at fossilized remains?
This issue frequently leads to discussions, as there is no clear way to group everything into distinct species for obvious reasons.
Drakkith said:
and the variation between any two people can be significant
Not so much in terms of bones, so the fossil remains would look very similar.

Likes Drakkith and Torbjorn_L
It's a great question.

Most of us who work in paleontology are geologists...not biologists.

For the most part we don't really care about biological species.. No way of telling for the most part. Paleontology is a wide field but for the most part fossils are used in biostratigraphy...aging formations, etc. What matters is that A comes before B. Find similar fossils elsewhere and the patterns repeat. Bottom line, the taxonomy is largely a tool rather than biology based. Of course, one is not exclusive of the other.

Distinction between biological species is difficult but more the area of vertebrate paleontology such as mammals, Dino's, etc. Some of those paleontologists have a biology background rather than geology. Even there, any taxonomic label below 'family' can be iffy.

Just a note...vertebrate paleontology is a small part of the field. Most of us study conodonts, brachiopods, foraminifera, etc. A small percent of paleontologists could name Dinos any more accurately than a 10 year old.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Hey all. I've got a question regarding fossils. Each individual person is unique, and the variation between any two people can be significant. How large are the differences between individual humans compared to the differences between closely related species in our fossil record? How do biologists tell the difference between two closely related species and two members of the same species when looking at fossilized remains?
There are pronounced differences in just for example, humans and their predecessors. Neanderthals as opposed to homo sapiens had large occipital buns and deep brow ridges. Sorry, I'm having one of my headaches, but can link more tomorrow perhaps. I have already posted the information here recently.

Evo said:
They're good questions. It seems to come down to where specimens are found and slight differences.

(See more below)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/humans/humankind/k.html

Wikipedia actually collects information from different sources on Peking man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peking_Man
If you're really interested drak, I can get more, a very good friend of mine is a well known paleontologist.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith
Evo said:
If you're really interested drak, I can get more, a very good friend of mine is a well known paleontologist.

Sure. I always like learning about evolution and anything related to it.

1. What are fossils of closely related species?

Fossils of closely related species are the preserved remains or imprints of organisms that are genetically similar to each other. They are typically found in the same geological strata and share similar physical characteristics.

2. How are fossils of closely related species formed?

Fossils of closely related species are formed when organisms die and are quickly buried by sediment or other materials, preventing their decomposition. Over time, the remains are compressed and mineralized, preserving them as fossils.

3. What can fossils of closely related species tell us about evolution?

Fossils of closely related species provide evidence for evolution by showing the gradual changes in physical characteristics and genetic makeup of organisms over time. By comparing the fossils of closely related species, scientists can trace the evolutionary history of different species.

4. How do scientists determine the age of fossils of closely related species?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the age of fossils, including radiometric dating and relative dating. Radiometric dating measures the decay of radioactive isotopes in the rocks surrounding the fossils, while relative dating compares the position of the fossils in the rock layers to determine their relative age.

5. Why are fossils of closely related species important to studying biodiversity?

Fossils of closely related species are important to studying biodiversity because they provide a record of the diversity of life on Earth and how it has changed over time. By studying these fossils, scientists can better understand the relationships between different species and how they have evolved over millions of years.