How do I get DVDs to iTunes???

by Math Jeans
Tags: dvds, itunes
Math Jeans
Sep12-07, 01:03 PM
P: 340
I've tried numerous methods of getting a DVD onto iTunes, but I just can't get it to work. Could someone please help me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
|)a\/1d
Sep12-07, 08:45 PM
P: 10
Quote Quote by Math Jeans View Post
I've tried numerous methods of getting a DVD onto iTunes, but I just can't get it to work. Could someone please help me?
Are they copyright movies or something? If their family videos or something like that and are in the correct format it should work. Are you trying to add it to the library or just play?
Math Jeans
Sep12-07, 09:19 PM
Well. I can easily get them to just play on my computer. But I cannot get them into my library. I've even done format changing and sticking them into the iTunes library files.

rcgldr
Sep12-07, 09:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,925

How do I get DVDs to iTunes???

Borrowing an ancient line from Ed McMahon on the old the Tonight Show ... "everything you ever wanted to know" about DVD's can be found at this web site:

http://www.doom9.org

Actually I was using the stuff I found there for the opposite reason, transferring old films / tape videos to DVD.
Lateral
Sep13-07, 04:01 AM
P: 10
Are you trying to get DVD movie files onto an iPod?
Math Jeans
Sep13-07, 11:21 AM
basically. Im trying to get a DVD, onto my iTunes library as if I had just purchased a movie from iTunes.
Math Jeans
Sep14-07, 03:11 PM
I think I got it from here. Thanks guys.
rcgldr
Sep14-07, 03:22 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,925
How much storage does that iTunes have? Most newer movies are > 4.7GB in size. Does the iTunes allow you to upload ISO or DOB files (files made from "ripping" DVDs?).

Note, in the USA, this is legal as long as you own the DVD (as opposed to ripping from a rental DVD), depending on the interpreration of digital media rights, when making a video as opposed to copying a DVD (making a DVD copy violates the reverse engineering of digital protection, although the programs that do this simply remove the protection, so it's not clear if a user of such a program is "reverse" engineering, as opposed to the authors of such programs).

Again, in the USA, based on the "Sony" case about recording programs with VCR's, if you played a DVD you owned on your TV and recorded it with a camcorder it would be legal. In fact the FCC shot down an attempt by a company Sony owned about not allowing DVR's to ouput broadcast video onto the firewire ports, citing Sony's previous court case where Sony fought for the right to record broadcast video.

Another option that wouldn't involve reverse engineering digtial protection would be to simply play the DVD on your computer, and use HyperCam II (do a web search) which records a user selected window and sound from the desktop. Fraps will do a similar capture but normally it only works with full screen, 3D output as with games.

Register to reply